Thread: Flammable Storage Cabinet

Blog Entries

Flammable Storage Cabinet

Does anyone use a flammable storage cabinet to store your finishes, etc. in for your shop?

I didn't realize these were so expensive. I'm curious what flammable storage others may be using.

Yes, i got a JustRite (?) one from Craigslist approx 2 years ago. Have seen some others pop up occasionally on Craigslist.

I picked up one at an auction, glad to have it. Unintended consequence is it keeps my 3 year old out of things, he is all about "doing work" in the shop....

20201206_105010.jpg

Blog Entries
    Christopher that looks like the unit I found on Facebook marketplace that I made an offer for and looks to be a very good size for my shop. It appears I'll be paying $250 for the unit. I may not want to know what you gave for yours but I'm happy with the deal since it appears this cabinet is over $800 new with shipping and tax from anywhere I could find (most places it was more than that).

Your picture helped me decide to go ahead with the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Herzog View Post
    I picked up one at an auction, glad to have it. Unintended consequence is it keeps my 3 year old out of things, he is all about "doing work" in the shop....

20201206_105010.jpg

I have two. They are small, maybe 18-24"?. Big enough for spray cans and gallon jugs but not multiple shelves of each.

I got mine from habitat for humanity restore, they had dozens, must have been donated from a large corporation or government. The small ones were the only ones I could fit in my car. At the time and even now I wouldn't have bought one new but would certainly get a discount used one.

An added benefit is it gets me to cull the collection of chemicals, have to really decide if something is worth keeping and not using for years when you're short on room in the cabinet.

An old fridge or freezer works okay for home use. Remove as much plastic as possible. Get an dold one with glass insulation not foam.
    Bill D

If you are considering a DIY approach and are in a regulated environment, here is a summary of the requirements for a flammable storage cabinet.

Metal cabinets for storage of flammables must be constructed in the following manner (29 CFR 1910.106(d)(3)(ii)(a)):

• Bottom, top, and sides of cabinets must be at least No. 18 gauge sheet steel.
    • Cabinets must be double-walled with 1½-inch airspace.
    • Joints must be riveted, welded, or made tight by some equally effective means.
    • Doors must have a three-point latch.
    • Door sills must be raised at least 2 inches above the cabinet bottom to retain spilled liquid within the cabinet.
    • Cabinets must be labeled in conspicuous lettering “Flammable—Keep Fire Away.”

Wood cabinets must be constructed in the following manner (29 CFR 1910.106(d)(3)(ii)(b)):

• Bottom, top, and sides of cabinets must be constructed of exterior grade plywood at least 1 inch thick.
    • Plywood must not break down or delaminate under fire conditions.
    • Joints must be rabbeted and fastened in two directions with flathead wood screws.
    • When more than one door is used, they should have a rabbeted overlap of not less than 1 inch.
    • Doors must be equipped with latches and hinges that are mounted to not lose their holding capacity when subjected to the fire test.
    • Cabinets must be labeled in conspicuous lettering “Flammable—Keep Fire Away.”

Check out your local college/university - they often have a property department that sells used equipment. I bought a small fireproof cabinet for $25, and self-extinguishing trash cans for $5 each.