Thread: Dust Collector Drum Modification...

Dust Collector Drum Modification...

I have the Oneida V-3000 system and the 35 gallon drum... I have found that the red light/sensor that tells you when the drum is full is not reliable... Not sure if it's a bad connection or just poor sensor, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried to modify the drum so you could actually see how full it is? Would cutting a small hole and then sealing it with say 1/4 inch thick plexiglass work?? Just trying to find a simple, low-tech way to monitor how full the drum is getting, without disconnecting it etc.... Thanks for all ideas!

My Oneida mini gorilla has a clear sight window in the top of the 22 gal drum and I can’t ever see anything as it’s always got sawdust stuck to the bottom of it. With a really good flashlight I can get a vague idea but that’s about all.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy Charo View Post
    I have the Oneida V-3000 system and the 35 gallon drum... I have found that the red light/sensor that tells you when the drum is full is not reliable... Not sure if it's a bad connection or just poor sensor, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried to modify the drum so you could actually see how full it is? Would cutting a small hole and then sealing it with say 1/4 inch thick plexiglass work?? Just trying to find a simple, low-tech way to monitor how full the drum is getting, without disconnecting it etc.... Thanks for all ideas!

Blog Entries
    I installed a Lexan window in the top of my dust collector bin (consists of a plywood top I made and a 30 gallon metal trash can from HD that is sealed). I also have the iVac level sensor. I've been impressed with the iVac level sensor as it has worked well. However, my Lexan viewport is wiped clean with each emptying but hasn't provided me a useful view yet.

I think a vertical slice into the side of the bin may work well. Of course, one would have to make sure there is enough structure to keep it from collapsing. But a port in the top doesn't seem to be worthwhile and it appears Greg has a similar experience.

My chip collection bin is shop-built. It has a vertical window in one side, near the top. It is a couple inches wide, and is made from acrylic plastic. I sealed it to the bin with caulk. It works great. No batteries, no wiring, low cost.

I also have a window on the top. It isn't as useful as the vertical window. You have to walk over to the bin to look down into it. The vertical window, in contrast, you can check from across the room.

I put a "window" in the top of the drum on my Oneida system many years ago. As long as it's fully sealed so there is ZERO leakage, there's no problem with it. Oneida actually puts windows in some of the current drum setups...the SDD I had for a bit in the temporary shop had one. I used a piece of scrap 1/4" Lexan for the deed, copious amounts of sealant and whatever bolts I had lying about to fasten things together.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have one of the Oneida’s with a window in the lid. If you hold the flashlight against the window and look to the side of the light, you can vaguely see the sawdust level. If you hold the flashlight away from the window, all you see is the reflection from dust on the window. I also have the DustSentry sensor which I have been adjusting gradually. It is close now but seems to fluctuate in calibration. I dump the bin whenever I open it and the level is above 1/2 full. I want the alarm to go off at 3/4 full. I don’t trust anything but an empty bin.

Blog Entries
    My window stays clear. My rig is homemade. I do not a have sander connected. I think it is the very fines that stick to the window?
    Best Regards, Maurice

No clue. I think if there was a little light inside I could see but my barrel is black and between the sawdust on the inside of the window and the darkness, I can't see anything. I think the side window would work better.

Here is mine right now. You can't see anything until it is completely overfilled which is too late unfortunately on these oneida cyclones.

46B47BEC-76B5-4C4D-82CA-E005E291BA18.jpg
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 09-29-2022 at 9:09 PM.

In my experience having tried several different styles level sensors are not reliable when using a cyclone and I would guess it is because of disturbed air due to the cyclonic action of the collector. A friend of mine put exactly the same sensors on his non cyclone DE and he has no trouble at all whereas on my cyclone they worked for a while then stopped. Two windows could work even when dust covers them, shine a torch through one and if no light is seen at the other then you know the level is above the windows.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Thanks for the responses...makes sense. I guess the answer is just to empty the bin more often than you think is necessary--"old school still" the best! And apologies to the Group for posting this twice--I hadn't noticed that the thread was moved!

I've got my sensor in the lid pointing downwards. This way I can use drum liners/bags. It has saved me many times.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

When I had a cyclone system, I bought a translucent plastic barrel....worked great. i could see when the barrel was filling up. No sensor needed.

I've been looking for a translucent plastic barrel that would fit the Oneida DC, but haven't found one yet...Bob: If you remember where you got yours that would be great...Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy Charo View Post
    I've been looking for a translucent plastic barrel that would fit the Oneida DC, but haven't found one yet...Bob: If you remember where you got yours that would be great...Thanks!
    I found mine on CL. A local company that used some type of industrial soap was getting rid of them cheap. It was a 55 gal, so too big for my cyclone (which used a 35 gal). I cut the middle section of the barrel out with a jigsaw down to 35 gal and then hot glued back together the top and bottom (you need polyurethane hot glue sticks for it to bond). Worked great. I suggest watching CL and FB Marketplace.