I make boxes. And (mostly) only boxes. With the occasional shelf thrown in, though it’s under the sink or somewhere else. Hidden. Forgotten but used.
The boxes are often gifts. Sometimes requests. One was for a dear dear friend. Though he’s still alive so hasn’t used it yet. Pine.

As my sliver of skills has improved, I’m finally able to find a bit of satisfaction in some aspects of the boxes. I really like how cleanly the floors inset in a small walnut box. Something you might throw your keys/change into as you walk into your home.
A box that gets used daily in a busy life. Sturdy and not terrible to look at. But nothing you would worry about if a cat knocked if to the floor.

Recently I started to worry that an inset floor might expand w/ heat/moisture and push those carefully mitered corners apart.
Haven’t seen it happen yet. My concern began when someone gave me some “really crappy” mahogany. Why crappy I asked? He said it wasn’t stable.

So those very same floors that I liked might need to change. And so I’m now teaching myself how to make clean grooved that a floor can sit in, floating a bit. Able to grown/shrink without damaging a small box’s corners.

That led me to the Record 44 Plow Plane. Pretty perfect for the task. At least as perfect as the overpriced and so nice Veritas Skew Rabbet plane that I am always happy to use.

As I wander eBay looking at various Records I find battered versions, missing parts. And showroom classics. Some are cheap. Some less so. But all have the hefty shipping that comes with a lump of steel being sent across the ocean.

Two questions-
Why are they all in the UK?
And what US based company might offer such a tool? K

Thanks.
-PD