Thread: Drill Press Height Adjustment Question

Drill Press Height Adjustment Question

Hi Creekers, here is the question. My drill press is a General, made in Canada, 1980s vintage. (Yes, I bought it new, I'm old ). I put it on a mobile base which raised the height by about 5 inches. To compensate, I tried to lower the placement of the head assembly on the vertical pole. However after loosening all the parts that keep it in place, it won't budge. Maybe after being locked in the same position for 40 years the head has "bonded" to the pole, or the locking lever has created a dimple of sorts. I don't want to knock it loose with a mallet for fear of damage. Any suggestions on how to move the head assembly without physically smacking it loose?

Thanks for any advice!

Len

Len ... one-old-man-to-another ... I wouldn't want to hit-it, either. It's most likely that you've got a 'ring' of rust at the top-and-bottom of the bore that fits the head to the post that's keeping-it "bonded". I'd first shoot some PB Blaster around those areas ... let-it sit for an hour. Then; you may need to go UP before you can go down. Clamp some 'stuff' at the underneath side of the head to keep the head from going down. Clamp a LONG piece of pipe to the side of the head so that you can ROTATE it. When it's rotating ... it's loose ... pry-it-up to clean-away any debris that's around the post ... then, you can go down.

Great idea, Sam, thanks, I will try that!

Just make sure you have something in place to keep the head from sliding farther down than you want it to. Once it's free it will go down a lot more easily than it will go up.

Thanks Sam, worked like a charm, easy peasy. Simple yet effective. And thanks Zach, there is a steel collar that keeps the head from slipping down.