Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
A better way to proceed , that will last much longer.
Forget the slats. Cut a piece of plywood to desired size. Use Titebond 2 glue , to glue a piece of white , or “un -bleached “ “cotton duck”.
It can be bought at any fabric store. Prime ,draw, paint. It’s a proven method that goes back to at least 1890. Don’t let “I ain’t never
heard of that before” , Stop you from a long used proven method. You might wonder why you have not heard of it before, it’s because it is not
in magazines and not seen much on TV craft shows. The modern “sign board” is its grand -child. Excellent expensive stuff. Old method
is easy and every bit as good. IF you wrap the canvas all around to protect the plywood from the weather.
How much of the fabric do you saturate in glue - edges only? And does it need to be stapled on the back? I have several CDX plywood offcuts about this size and would be happy to give this method a go as well simultaneously. Said recipient has only seen the pallet style ones when traveling the country, and made comments, hence the method I picked... I have significant concerns with the slat method - for an outdoor piece.