Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Validate my 8" Jointer Moving Plan

I use an engine lift for a car. I've been able to move both my 8" Powermatic 882-HH and my 20" Grizzly 1033x jointer by myself into my basement shop. The engine lift works great with a trailer since you can slide the legs of the lift under the trailer and set it exactly where you want it on the trailer. I did remove the fence on the jointer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Meaney View Post
    Thanks for the reply Eric. Did you strap it down from the tables? Did you add any blocking? My uncle is coming with me and he has some back/neck issues, so trying to limit the heavy lifting as much as possible. The gentleman who is selling the unit has it on wheels right now, so there’s another reason a trailer might be the right choice. In fact, a neighbor recently offered to give me an old trailer. Maybe I’ll circle back with him.
    Craig I did remove the motor and fence which was fairly quick and easy. I wish I could remember how I had the straps but I don't recall exactly.
    I also moved a MM24 (24") bandsaw that weighs ~650 lbs on the trailer. It was loaded by using a Harbor Freight strap winch ($35) attached to the front of the trailer to pull it up wood ramping made from some 2x10 wood I had (an entirely other story about a ramp and a hot tub). I don't have a great picture of it but maybe you can make it out in the picture below.

Edit: I looked up the bandsaw weight - one place it says 1000# and another 650#. I'm not sure what it weighs but either way the winch method worked well!

Bandsaw strap winch.jpg
    Last edited by Eric Arnsdorff; 09-28-2022 at 11:21 PM.

Welp - we'll find out today how my suggestion works out since today is the day my table saw is supposed to be moved to the new house/shop.

After thinking through all possible situations, the best I could come up with is:

- hire a guy.

More specific - hire movers to move the saw and my safe.
    Everything else in the shop was on wheels & my son just rented a trailer and wheeled it away.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Welp I thought I'd circle back to provide an update in case anyone else is searching for this information. Thank you for all of the suggestions. I decided to rent an enclosed trailer because it was raining. I bought ramp hardware (the kind you bolt on a 2x8) and we wheeled the jointer out of the seller's studio and up the ramp onto the trailer. Two of us then lifted the jointer while the seller pulled out the dolly it was on. This was difficult, probably a mistake honestly, but we made it work. I tied it down, wrapping around both the cabinet and each table. Once we got it to my house, we got smart and took it apart. We put the bed on a hand truck and wheeled it around the back door. Then we lifted the cabinet and carried it to the back door and inside - it was light. We then lifted the bed and moved it into the basement and set it on top of the cabinet base. In hindsight, taking it apart is no big deal, but the jointer bed is very heavy. The cabinet - even with the motor still mounted- was not. If you're moving a DJ20 in fair-weather, my advise would be to NOT rent a trailer. Instead take John's advise on page 1: take off the fence and jointer bed, move that into a truck bed followed by the cabinet base. Tie them down and then use a dolly or hand truck to get near a door, lift them inside and be happy. We tried to put the jointer bed on the hand truck long ways and that was a no go, I wouldn't even attempt it.