Thread: Disston D-8 Pre 1928 ID

Question Disston D-8 Pre 1928 ID

I recently obtained a 24" D-8 Disston Hand saw. After reading the info on the Disstonian Institute site I found that the etch has the 8 inside the D makes it pre-1928. However, the handle had only 4 total bolts including the medallion. Their site shows that this type of handle was found on the D-30. However it says the D-30 had a straight back where this saw has a skew back. The handle appears to be apple wood and is closed at the top..Could this be a transition saw going from the D-8 to a D-30? Thanks, Dan W.

Apparently, Disston considered any saw shorter than 26" to be a "Panel" saw....so, they only used 4 bolts...even on the D8s...
    Wood Project start, D8 Panel saw.JPG
    20" Disston D( no hyphen)8 Cover top, skew blade, 10 ppi...pre-1928....and the "8" is inside of the "D"
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Steve, Thanks for the info. Still interested in finding out about the D-30. Do you have a suggestion on where to look? Thanks, Dan

Blog Entries
    Hi Dan, and welcome to the creek.

I looked here > https://www.toolemerapress.com < but only found a pamphlet on Disston saws.

You might try looking for old Disston catalogs for more information.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    You might also look in the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs > https://sawmillcreek.org//showthread.php?103805

Bob Smalser posted on saws and may have more information there. He also posted a lot about restoration of saws.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Dan, to the best of my knowledge Disston never made a model called D – 30. That said I could be wrong but I know who would know – Pete Taran a member here on the creek, is expert in all things vintage saws. Perhaps He’ll respond here or you could send him a PM.

Dan,

Disston did make a D30. Basically a straight back version of the D8 as it says at the bottom of the catalog pic I've provided.

I only have one example in my collection and it's a 26" thumb hole rip version.

Not an easy saw to find.

Take care,
    Daryl
    DSCN6496.jpgDSCN6497.jpgDSCN6498.jpgScreenHunter_04 Jan. 01 13.37.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryl Weir View Post
    Dan,

Disston did make a D30. Basically a straight back version of the D8 as it says at the bottom of the catalog pic I've provided.

I only have one example in my collection and it's a 26" thumb hole rip version.

Not an easy saw to find.

Take care,
    Daryl
    DSCN6496.jpgDSCN6497.jpgDSCN6498.jpgScreenHunter_04 Jan. 01 13.37.jpg
    Daryl thanks for dropping in to provide the answer. I don't know of many places where an everyday Joe like me can get answers from an expert like you. I have purchased a number of your saws from your website over the years and they are simply fantastic in every way! How do you get your saw plates so shiny? Please remind me - what's your website called?

Cheers, Mike