Thread: Super Dust Deputy 4/5 Deluxe Cyclone, Anybody Have Experience With?

Super Dust Deputy 4/5 Deluxe Cyclone, Anybody Have Experience With?

I have a 1HP dust collector that I want to use as a second, but I don't like having to empty the bag, so I'm looking at this Oneida system. Does anyone here have experience with this? I have the little one that hooks up to a vac and I love what it does. Is this larger version good as well?

I'm not sure if this is what you are after. I have a Super Dust Deputy XL that converts my 1.5HP Jet DC into a two stage.

It works very well and I rarely have to do anything as regards to the original bag.

In the next post, you'll see that I actually did the Stumpy Nubbs mod and replaced the original bag. This made a big sound difference.

I've also changed the blue plastic drum out for a straight sided steel drum to make it easier to get the bags out. The tapered top, on the blue drum, made it a little awkward especially if I filled the bag about 90%.

Here's my sound reduction video. I wanted to get the noise level down while running my CNC.

Here you see my replacement drum ($25 off facebook marketplace)

Derek,

I used one for years until I got a cyclone. It worked great as long as you didn't fill the drum.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

I ran this with my 1-1/2 hp jet DC in order to keep planer shavings out of the filter.
    It worked really well for this (as long as you don't overfill the drum underneath the cyclone)
    I used the oneida 17gallon drum kit for this.
    This was great for being airtight (important for cyclones), but was a bit small, and felt a bit awkward when removing the lid/cyclone to empty the drum.

A cyclone will help with separation and might be easier to empty than your bag.
    A cyclone will reduce nominal airflow in your DC a bit (not as much as the old garbage-can separator I've tried before and not as much as the planer shavings were when clogging up my cartridge filter)
    I don't think a cyclone stage will help air quality of the air coming through your dust collector filter.

But for separation, it is a thumbs-up.

Matt

All good news! Thanks for your input. I'll post a pic of what I end up with.