Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ultimate flush trim bit grief

I made an attempt with a 1/4" high cut about 1/16" wide and it grabbed again. I set up a dial indicator, the bit is bent slightly enough to give the table a little vibration. I'm not sure how this happened. Perhaps the first time it hit a few months ago bent the bit and every subsequent hit made it worse. I guess a replacement needs to be ordered. I emailed Whiteside to see if I can buy the bit without bearings/Carbide. That would hopefully reduce the price significantly.

Template routing scares the crap out me, and yes, 1/8th of an inch is an issue. Yes, my router table has a socket for a starting pin, and yes, they help, but it is not a cure all. Flush trimming a chair leg, like 1.5 x 1.5 on a router is absolutely frightening to me.

Yes, having oversize templates will work, but those templates can only work on one side, and to make a four-sided exact match, you'd need four templates and have to align them. Too much work for me.

I would use a band saw to take the piece down to a 16th, and might even use a flush cut sanding drum on the drill press. I've found that it is rare for the piece has to be an exact match, and often a sharp pencil line and a hand plane can work the piece down to a 32nd or less, which is close enough for a city this size.
    Regards,

Tom

Now im looking at buying a new $200 bit im not sure Amana or whiteside. Or save the 200 and break out the shooting board and hand planes

figure out how to jig up and hold a router in your hand., Trim to like Richard said or less or dont even do that other than it dulls the bit more. A router in the hand of a skilled person who can climb and float then go forward can do lots. Use router table and you will continue to be a victim.

Start inboard so you're on the pattern. Light passes until flush. Then go back and make light climb cuts to finish the starting end.

I've never used the start pin on my table. In fact, after having it for quite a few years and going thru the bag of parts it took me awhile to figure out what 'that thing' was.

The round over works ! Sorry it’s not getting any votes …even though it works. Perhaps there is a notation about it in the notebook of
    someone smart ! Or possibly the OSHA rules forbid it, and punishment is ‘20 to life.

In MOST cases light cuts do NOT help when grain is tearing out . Sometimes it will burn up some time by tearing out smaller
    pieces, IF you are an employee !!

If you can use a larger diameter bit, you will be pleasantly surprised with how much different they cut. I use a Freud 1 1/4 diameter top bearing bit. https://www.toolsplus.com/freud-50-1...xoCpggQAvD_BwE