Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supermarket receipts.

Supermarket receipts.

Why,why,why do I need 24" of paper receipt and two coupons for products we never buy when all I purchased was one loaf of bread? Yes I measured it to see how close I guessed.

Why do need a retail receipt of any sort? It is mostly just something you throw away.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Plummer View Post
    Why,why,why do I need 24" of paper receipt and two coupons for products we never buy when all I purchased was one loaf of bread? Yes I measured it to see how close I guessed.
    I tear off the part I want to save and give the rest back to the clerk.

Because a lot of cautious people like me keep CC receipts and check them against the monthly CC bill. If it is super long, I also tear off the unnecessary part.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

More and more stores give you the option of receiving your receipt by email to save paper.

Many stores now ask if I want a receipt before they print it out. That's the solution.

24”? That’s nothing. Have you been to CVS lately? They give you like 4’ of receipt for a pack of gum.

I was at CVS this morning and they offered 3 or 4 options for a receipt

Blog Entries
    When I asked this at my local Post Office, the reply was, "we have paper mills in this town."

Someone, somewhere, somehow convinced the retail world that longer is better.

My grocery receipts are saved since they have a code on them to fill out a questionnaire that gives me 50 "fuel points." Every 100 fuel points reduces the price of gas 10¢ a gallon up to $1 a gallon discount. My truck takes 40 gallons when empty so it can save a bit.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 09-26-2022 at 6:17 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I always get paper receipt because it takes forever to enter our email address on their keypad.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Plummer View Post
    I'll bet 18" of it was advertising or some sort of promotion.

I like the way Home Depot does it. I register my credit card with them, and when I buy something there, they email me a receipt. I don't need to enter anything at the checkout.

I keep all my receipts on my computer.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Many stores now ask if I want a receipt before they print it out. That's the solution.
    A lot of places that ask if you want a receipt just throw the receipt in the trash. Convenience stores only print a receipt if you ask because almost nobody wants a receipt. Home Depot still prints a receipt if you ask for an emailed receipt. A few places like Fleet Farm are starting to offer text or email receipts instead of paper.

One local grocery chain sells advertising on the back of the receipts so they have an incentive to have longer receipts. The ads are mostly for local places and you'll have different advertising in different parts of the local metro area.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I like the way Home Depot does it. I register my credit card with them, and when I buy something there, they email me a receipt. I don't need to enter anything at the checkout.
    This! Also to address Ken's concern, HD appears to link your CC with your email address, so you just have to enter it once, and after that it just magically happens. I think Lowes does the same. Anyway, it's very nice to have all my receipts in email, since I can think search it to determine when I bought something.