Thread: Help With Remodeling Goof

Help With Remodeling Goof

Need some advice on how to correct this goof. Cabinets were out,door was open when some white primer was applied to the wall. There was a gap between the wall and the floor where the door pocket is. Well you can see in the picture what happened.

Doors original finish is Watco Danish Oil. What's the best way to get the primer off and out of the oak grain. I have some of the original oil finish for touch up.

IMG_0725.jpg
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

If that’s latex , goof off should make short work of it.

Mossbergers makes something similar that I think works a bit better.

I'll try the goof off, but I think it'd oil based primer. I thought of trying lacquer thinner, good idea or no?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    I'll try the goof off, but I think it'd oil based primer. I thought of trying lacquer thinner, good idea or no?

Oil based primer on a wall ? That'd be unusual, no ?

I'd not resort to lac. thinner just yet.

https://www.liftoffinc.com/products/...ker-s-lift-off

this one if it is oil based:

https://www.liftoffinc.com/products/...l-products/diy

I would start with a razor blade and see how much you can scrape off. I would then move to one of those nylon coated "tuffy" sponges with soap and water. I am sure Goofoff would work but it is probably more than you need and it will leave the underlying finish more of a mess.

Make sure you blot & don't wipe.

Wiping will smear it around and drive it deeper into the pores of the wood.

Blotting will draw it out.

Goof Off is a blend composed of aromatic (not the less potent aliphatic) hydro carbons & aliphatic
    -mineral spirits - kerosene - torch fuel - odorless mineral spirits - some examples of aliphatic -
    - toluene, xylene, VMP naphtha some examples of aromatic
    -lacquer thinner is a blend of solvents with a touch of ketones
    - Acetone is in the same loose association with MEK, MIBK, and the other ketones
    This is somewhat of a list of common solvents you might find around the house, from the weakest to the strongest.
    All of them, to some degree can and will damage the finish on the wood - as well as cut through primer

If it were me - I would start with odorless mineral spirits. I'd make a paste using some corn meal and MS, then stick that poultice on and let it wick off as much as it can.
    Check it often to make sure it's not going too far in the wrong direction and driving the primer deeper into the wood - which is always a concern when you are doing this type of repair.

Personally - I'd try to duplicate the problem with several scraps of similar wood with a similar finish and a similar primer. That way I could test different ways and means.

As mentioned by Michael right above - your best solution may be mechanical - try to scrape first and possibly try lightly sand it with steel wool ( or the synthetic steel wool)

Good luck.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 09-27-2022 at 5:56 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I'm also with the scraping point of view. Take a lot of time and be really careful so you don't gouge into the underlying finish and it will only need a little careful touch up with clear.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...