Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tabbed machine screws for Miter hardware

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    (How to answer this....) I've never been comfortable with having "only what is required" for a tool or appliance or whatever, especially if it is something that is easily(or quickly) misplaced/lost/broken/worn out.

I worked as an aerospace tech for 35 years, with lot of time spent on the manufacturing floor.
    I had to repair a fair amount of rather expensive and hi-tech equipment, so I knew (in general) where electro-mechanical equipment was likely to fail first.
    I also learned that operators can be careless with "Accessories'' .

Me (looking thru the Accessories kit): Where is the thingumabob?... I need it to adjust the sparkenzymaker.
    Operator: I dunno, we never use it.
    After spending 30-45 minutes hunting around for it, rummaging through drawers and cabinets and tool lockers (and doing it too many times for different equipment) I finally learned that I had to put together my own accessory kits.
    (Note the plural...)

I have two of the miter slot kits... that's 4 shorty expandable miter bars , 4 knobs --which I have a ton of, along with washers -- and 4 nibhead bolts.
    Just not comfortable with having only those 4 bolts.
    And ...AND ... you can find stuff like this at garage sales, but it is typically missing something like (yep, that's right) screws, nuts, bolts.
    I guess it's in my DNA ... my Dad was the same way (EE .. aerospace)
    While I can appreciate your position on this, there are other methods for locking jigs and fixtures in miter slots.

OK....Can you tell me what they are ?...point and push me to a website/video? I'm open to suggestions for this.
    Thanks

What size/shape is your miter slot?
    Standard 3/8" x 3/4"
    3/8" x 3/4" T-slot
    or something else

Incra miter slider (aluminum)
    Zeroplay miter stop

Just search for miter slot stop or t slot miter stop
    there are many different styles

I would check with all the companies that make feather boards. My Benchdog feather board uses a similar bolt but it's 1/4-20 thread.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I didn't even the mag route, there are many options there as well

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    (How to answer this....) I've never been comfortable with having "only what is required" for a tool or appliance or whatever, especially if it is something that is easily(or quickly) misplaced/lost/broken/worn out.

Me (looking thru the Accessories kit): Where is the thingumabob?... I need it to adjust the sparkenzymaker.

I have two of the miter slot kits...
    Gotcha. I can't even make an estimate of the hours I've wasted looking for things that should just be 'there'. I swore I'd have whatever tools any machine required right there. If that takes 5 sets of Bondhus hex keys, so be it. Inch and Metric if necessary, and a set on each bench ...

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry;[URL="tel:3215011"
    3215011[/URL]]Thats an esoteric fastener it is a "flat countersunk nib bolt" metric is all I have found so far...

Flat Countersunk Bolts | Plow Bolts
    I’d say Mr. McMurray nailed it. Buy some of those metric bolts, and some metric knobs, store them screwed together, and whenever you need the spare knobs and bolts, you’d have them. Seems to me that since they’ll be ‘separate’ from the originals, metric vs imperial wouldn’t make much of a difference. My $0.02

Best of luck.
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Blog Entries
    I think this might work. Hacksaw, aviation snips, hammer. I hammered the nib in and hammered the slot snug. A tiny spot with the MIG., Glue, Soldering or Brazing do not seem necessary.

IMG_0733.jpg
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I think this might work. Hacksaw, aviation snips, hammer. I hammered the nib in and hammered the slot snug. A tiny spot with the MIG., Glue, Soldering or Brazing do not seem necessary.

IMG_0733.jpg

While your approach looks like it will work just fine, this is exactly why I said "An inexpensive kit is the next best option" in my earlier post.
    Going through the time & trouble to fabricate a fastener, just so you have one in case you lose the original, seems excessive to me.

Blog Entries
    I need some long ones for an idea I am working on which is the reason for my interest. My expenditure so far = zero... Or perhaps .99 cents
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 10-02-2022 at 7:03 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Slotted flat head bolt with tension pen brazed into slot. In bulk, tension pins are dirt cheap.