Thread: Recommend Mobile Base for Delta DJ20 Jointer

Recommend Mobile Base for Delta DJ20 Jointer

I am picking up a Delta DJ20 and will need a mobile base for the shop. My floors are flat. Any recommendations?

Craig

Mine has been sitting on the 3 wheel, lever base that Delta sold for it since 1993. No problems.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I'd second just going with the mobile base from Delta, 50-276. I've had it since 2000 with no issues.

Thanks guys, delta mobile base it is. Any suggestions for what to check when I inspect the jointer next weekend before paying for it? I’m purchasing it from the original owner who says he’s used it sparingly. He also said he just replaced the knives.

My suggestions:

1. Bring a long straightedge and check the tables for flatness. Also make sure you can adjust the tables. You don't need to align it perfectly but I'd want to make sure there are no issues with adjusting either table. This will also remind you to get the little wrench for adjusting from the owner.
    2. Ensure the gib screws on the head are not stripped. Probably not a big deal to replace but I would loosen and tighten them all. If you're going to be buying it anyway it shouldn't matter if you tweak the screws.
    3. Fire it up and make sure it runs smoothly with minimal vibration. Run an 8" board through with a few different depth of cuts
    4. Check for rust

Thanks Greg! I will follow these instructions to a T.

I have had a DJ-20 since December of 1990. I purchased the HTC mobile base. I think they sold out to another company. It moves with ease and locks tight with no movement. It is a great jointer that has worked well over the past 32 years. The tables are on cams and easy to adjust but requires a lot of patience. It was dead on out of the box. Hope this helps you.