Thread: Salt Mill

Salt Mill

I have a couple of salt mills from Chefware Kits. I'm assuming you could grind pepper in them as well as salt since the grinder is ceramic. On the other hand if the grinder was metal salt would be a no no. Wonder if you agree?

The pepper mills I made all had stainless grinders in them so I doubt salt will hurt them. One thing to be aware of is to be sure you leave plenty of adjustment for the grinders and tell people not to set the grinders too tight, if they come in contact to each other and you twist hard and fast the ceramic grinders can break. The last set I made I used steel for both.

The mills I have I've had for a long time so I've forgotten a lot about them. As I look closer it looks like the grinder is plastic not ceramic.
    Last edited by Dave Fritz; 09-24-2022 at 3:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    The mills I have I've had for a long time so I've forgotten a lot about them. As I look closer it looks like the grinder is plastic not ceramic.
    All the mills I've made have used the ceramic "Crush Grind" mechanisms, two different types. Pepper, salt, no problems, mechanism is very tough. The two I kept for our house have had daily use since 2007.

peppermills_two_comp.jpg

JKJ

I've made those too John and prefer them. I've had so called stainless steel rust. I think I'll stick with ceramic grinders.

CrushGrind@ the only way to go. Ceramic grinding mechanism works great for pepper, salt, spices, etc. I live in Houston, TX. Very high humidity. Some salts will absorb moisture, become near solid mass and cause the grinding mechanism to seize. Can be easily cleaned/cleared. But if customer tries to force grinding, usually results in bending/breaking the shaft. I pretty much have quit recommending them for salt service in this high humidity area. - John