Thread: Stripping old varnish with hand planes

Stripping old varnish with hand planes

In the past I have stripped old varnish with chemicals, sandpaper, and heatgun/scraper but this year started doing it with hand planes and it is much faster and leaves a finish-ready surface. Does anyone else use handplanes to strip old varnish? What planes do you use for tight areas with obstructions like a curved section of toerail with a jib traveler on top next to stanchions? I thought about small luthier planes but am not sure if anything with a fixed throat can get a bite on an inside curve.

A card scraper.

In fact, I start with a card scraper to get some of the main stuff off even the open areas.

Most of my old varnish removal is done with this particular scraper. It's used in corners that a disk can't get to by professional floor finishers. The 1" width may seem small, but you can get more pressure on it than a 2" one, and I almost never use a bigger one even on large areas.

https://www.floorsupplies.net/produc...xoCBsYQAvD_BwE

The little LV detail scraper is worth what it costs too: https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...r?item=50K6601

I have used planes to remove finish. It can be risky if there is any possibility of tear-out. Happily a lot of boat wood is very straight grained. Sorta off topic, but I did run into a problem where I had glued in a transom, only to realize I had not checked the Noahs pumps, which look rather like they were designed for Ketchup. Turned out they were radically off, and I had to tear the boat down and start again. I used a plane to get rid of the epoxy, it worked really well. Though... In the end I took it outside and disc sanded it. Messy but faster.
    Last edited by Roderick Gentry; 09-21-2022 at 10:21 AM.

LV used to sell a long handle scraper, and WB sells one today. The LV one was great, about 14 inches long, cast iron, cheap. Probably Kuntz. But all it was was a long thing with a 2 inch square scraper blade about 1/8 inch thick. The ones I see for sale now have three surfaces which is one more than on my square model. But they looks like they might bite one if one got careless.

A useful tool that got a lot of plaudits when it was first introduced was those vibratory saws/scrapers. They will do things nothing else will get at. Might be the best for getting into corners. I own one that cost about 40 bucks, but the one that got the high recommendations was the original fein oscilating saw, for it's ability to get into corners and coves. I sometimes use my cheapo with the saw blade to act as a precision scraper.

In desperation one tries a bit of everything. I will use a chisel, surform, micro plane, and cheapest of all a hacksaw blade. This article shows how the Gougeons came up with a hacksaw fairing tool that they sandwich in wood. I just grab some dollar store blades and hold them in my hands. You can bend them and get a loop into tight corners.