Thread: RIP Danny Hamsley

RIP Danny Hamsley

It is with the deepest of heart that I share that we have lost a respected member of the milling, drying and forestry family. Danny Hamsley - passed away yesterday, September 21, 2022. At this time I don't have a lot of information about what happened other than to know that he was working at his mill, doing what he loved, when he died. Unfortunately it appears that he lost control of his tractor while moving some material, and it rolled over - breaking his neck.

Danny was the "Go to" person for many people regarding wood species information. He retired as a professional Forrester from Weyerhaeuser several years back and spent his time running his sawmill, drying lumber, and in general sharing great advice with others.

He was a contributor to the "Miscellaneous facts about Drying Lumber sticky here at SMC.

He will be deeply missed.
    Last edited by Scott T Smith; 09-22-2022 at 6:34 PM.

I didn't know him, but I offer my condolences to those who did. A lot of knowledge is lost when some one dies, glad to hear that he passed on some of his while he could. Sorry for your loss.

A sad day. I've known Danny for many years. As you say, he was the "Go To" person. He was also a standup guy you could count on.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I met him on several occasions when I stopped by his place while visiting family in Georgia. My grandfather was a sawyer in Atlanta.

Coincidentally, I'm about to dig out some air dried Walnut he sold me so that I can start a new project. He had some of the most gorgeous curly Cherry I have ever seen but he was keeping that for himself.

Funny story - The first time I was there he was giving the grand tour and after already having walked through a couple of open air drying barns he casually mentions to watch out for Timber Rattlers coiled up in the stacks. Better late than never!

Danny was an all around great guy. He will be missed.

Joe

So sad to hear. Danny was a GREAT Guy! On one of our early visits to his mill he asked if I could help him with a particularly large red oak log. We loaded it onto the mill with the tractor and a couple of peaveys. He then showed me how to take a couple of nice live edge slabs with his band mill. When we went back the next year he casually asked if I wanted those slabs that I had cut the previous year. We brought them home to Texas and a couple of years later put them to use. Godspeed Danny.

Obituary for WILLIAM DANNY HAMSLEY

William Danny Hamsley, age 68, of Haynesville, Georgia, passed away unexpectedly on September 21, 2022. He was born to William Joseph (Buster) Hamsley and Corine Cannon Hamsley in Hawkinsville, Georgia on December 29, 1953. He grew up on his family’s farm in Haynesville, Georgia where he learned farm ingenuity, the freedom of wide-open spaces, and generosity.

He attended Perry High School and earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Forest Resources from the University of Georgia in 1977 and a Master of Science degree from the University of Georgia in 1979. He married Ann Sharpless, his wife of 45 years, in 1976. Danny had a fulfilling career in forestry for 32 years, working in an industry that grows and utilizes trees, his favorite natural resource. He worked for Buckeye, Procter and Gamble, and Weyerhaeuser Company. Danny enjoyed managing his family tree farm in Houston County, Georgia, and proudly displayed the American Tree Farm sign by the roadside. Danny loved woodworking and sawmilling. After his official retirement from Weyerhaeuser in 2011, Danny started his second career as a sawmiller and started Hamsley Hardwood. He was a true artist in turning an old forgotten tree into a timeless masterpiece. He was also a moderator for the Forestry Forum, an online community that discusses trees and sawmilling, which he checked every morning.

Danny was a thoughtful man with an affinity for tree identification. He categorized trees and explained every detail in botanist terms: an apple fruit was a pome, while a cherry was a drupe. His detailed explanations earned him the nickname “Mr. Big Words” on the Forestry Forum. He also loved music; his favorite was bluegrass, which he loved to play with his guitar, bass guitar, and upright bass. He enjoyed fishing with his friends from trout fishing in the north Georgia mountains to wading in the waves off the coast of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina. Danny was an amateur archaeologist; at first glance, he could tell you the time period in which an arrowhead was created, and he spent many days with his wife, Ann, finding them.

Most of all, he was devoted to his family. Danny said that “the meaning of life is family.” He found unabashed joy in spending time with his family, especially telling stories of his childhood and cooking and sharing meals with them. He was preceded in death by his parents, William Joseph (Buster) Hamsley and Corine Cannon Hamsley, and his sister Sandra Harper. He is survived by his wife of 45 years, Ann; his three daughters and sons-in-law, Amanda Lang (Max), Jennifer Jarvis (Andrew), and Kristen Jones (Casey); and his three grandchildren, Maddy Claire Lang, Clay Lang, and Ronin Jarvis. He is also survived by his brothers, Terry Hamsley (Cynthia) and Kenny Hamsley (Ember).

He loved unconditionally. His family and those that knew him could not have asked for a better husband, father, or friend. We were all truly blessed to have him in our lives. Even though he is gone from us now, his absence is temporary. He is waiting to see us all again.

The visitation will be held at Watson-Hunt Funeral Home on Monday, September 26, 2022 at 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. The family will hold a private service for close family at a later date.
    Condolences for the family may be left in the online guestbook at https://www.watsonhunt.com/obituarie...#!/TributeWall
    Watson-Hunt Funeral Home has been entrusted with the arrangements.

Last edited by Joe Adams; 09-28-2022 at 12:30 AM.