Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Methods for joining plywood for baseboard / wainscotting

Methods for joining plywood for baseboard / wainscotting

How to quickly and smoothly join 1/2" bamboo sheets together?

Have a customer wanting to wrap a the interior of his music studio with 1/2" bamboo 3ply, as a 16" high baseboard / skirting. Almost like wainscotting, it's so high. The grain will be vertical so I'll be crosscutting 16" lengths of the 4x8 sheets, then joining them along the short end, along the long grain. On some walls there will be 5 sections to edge glue together. The joint need be seamless and flush. I am considering using a solid surface seamer, like the Bessey PS55, which uses suction cups. I plan to have the joint with 3 dominos. I'm looking for speed, there's 4 big rooms to do.

See photos for the mock-ups.

https://www.bessey.de/en-GB/BESSEY-T...ming-tool-PS55

Does anyone have a better approach for joining?

68471568913__3B956B8D-3047-447C-B7F5-79720C5E6501.jpg
    IMG_0803.jpg
    Last edited by Jonathan Jung; 09-21-2022 at 2:35 PM.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Will you be glueing and/or nailing the plywood to the wall? How about a ship lap joint?

Screwing the material to the wall, covering the screwheads with the 1" wide trim you see in the picture. The joint needs to be tight.

Anyone know if the seaming clamps will be able to pull strong enough to overcome the friction of a few 4mm dominos?
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Jung View Post
    How to quickly and smoothly join 1/2" bamboo sheets together?

Have a customer wanting to wrap a the interior of his music studio with 1/2" bamboo 3ply, as a 16" high baseboard / skirting. Almost like wainscotting, it's so high. The grain will be vertical so I'll be crosscutting 16" lengths of the 4x8 sheets, then joining them along the short end, along the long grain. On some walls there will be 5 sections to edge glue together. The joint need be seamless and flush. I am considering using a solid surface seamer, like the Bessey PS55, which uses suction cups. I plan to have the joint with 3 dominos. I'm looking for speed, there's 4 big rooms to do.

See photos for the mock-ups.

https://www.bessey.de/en-GB/BESSEY-T...ming-tool-PS55

Does anyone have a better approach for joining?

68471568913__3B956B8D-3047-447C-B7F5-79720C5E6501.jpg
    IMG_0803.jpg

I believe that ply will shrink and expand with humidity. How will you implement expansion gaps?

I brought the expansion/contraction issue up with the customer. They want to proceed anyway for a seamless look...they said if it ends up messing itself up we'll just redo it.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Blog Entries
    Are you attaching it directly to the drywall or you adding an MDF sheet for depth? Maybe you could pre-build a MDF + bamboo at your shop (vacuum press or mechanical press). Scribe them at the room and fit on site? You have quarter round or similar at the base for some play? It looks like the trim cap and base pieces are all custom.

How level is the floor?

I personally don't like the idea of attaching directly to drywall because that could turn into a shimming nightmare if I'm thinking of this correctly.

Blog Entries
    I've used this tape for veneer: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40067055/

per the following veneer video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AY1...&index=10&t=3s

It works like a clamp to a degree.

I question whether suction cups will hold on the bamboo surface - I would beg or borrow one to test before investing in those clamps.

A simple method would be to fasten some clamping ears to the plyboo edges (or screw rabbeted ears (rabbit ears?) to the backs) and use f- or c-clamps to pull the sections together. # of dominos would depend on the panels' flatness.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 09-21-2022 at 11:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    This is a cool project. Just a few more thoughts that come to my mind:

- Make the top and bottom trip pieces hold the bamboo sheets in place with clamping pressure, not w/ hardware. Hardware in the top and bottom pieces, but not in the bamboo.

- Let the bamboo / bamboo + MDF grow one way toward a room corner. Cut out drywall in that corner to give 1/2" or so of movement. The perpendicular bamboo butts up against this piece and has 1/2" movement on the other corner. Each wall piece gets 1/2" of room for movement, but it is invisible to the naked eye.

- If you use bamboo + MDF, you could have the MDF longer than the bamboo so at site you can add a bamboo sheet that butts perfectly. Attach these two pcs (bamboo + mdf) to themselves, but not to the wall. You still are giving the total assembly room to move the length of the room while also getting your perfect joints. Assuming the MDF and bamboo ply grow and shrink at similar rates.

Blog Entries
    Or use the fancy Lamello connectors.

The panels will be fixed to the wall through 2" of wall coverings: 3 layers of drywall and a 1/2" airgap. The entire building is soundproofed like this for acoustics. So I have to use quite big screws, 4" long, to reach studs. So I'll be fixing the panels to the wall at the top and bottom edges with screws, covering them up with little trim at the top and scribe trim at the bottom. This will also eliminate the need for scribing the panels to the floor. So these trims will be applied after the panel is fixed to the wall.

Putting ears on the edges of the ply is something I thought of, but was thinking suction clamps would be faster. Andrew, I wonder of the Lamello connectors would pull it tight? Then no clamps needed while the glue dries. I was intending to layout the panels for edging-gluing on the floor, orientated such that bowing is facing up (convex side of the panel is upwards) to ensure the front sides of the panels are joined tightly.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Andrew, the idea with cutting the drywall back in the corners is a fantastic idea.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Blog Entries
    So you are slotting the screw holes?

I had to do the drywall growth trick for a countertop I built because the sapele came in w/ higher Moisture Content than I expected. So I did a bit of the opposite: a stuck it under the drywall a bit (the customer was using that silly stick on backsplash...sigh) to let it shrink.

Blog Entries
    The panels will be fixed to the wall through 2" of wall coverings: 3 layers of drywall and a 1/2" airgap. The entire building is soundproofed like this for acoustics. So I have to use quite big screws, 4" long, to reach studs. So I'll be fixing the panels to the wall at the top and bottom edges with screws, covering them up with little trim at the top and scribe trim at the bottom. This will also eliminate the need for scribing the panels to the floor. So these trims will be applied after the panel is fixed to the wall.
    Cool idea. So it's a fairly even floor? Not a basement floor : )

I've never used the Lamello.. I've heard good things from the cabinet guys.

I wonder of the Lamello connectors would pull it tight? Then no clamps needed while the glue dries. I was intending to layout the panels for edging-gluing on the floor, orientated such that bowing is facing up (convex side of the panel is upwards) to ensure the front sides of the panels are joined tightly.
    The Tenso connectors "should" work. Only one way to find out for sure- you know you want that $1600 Zeta P2.

The panels aren't flat? How far out are they? How are you going to cut the joints accurately? What is the moisture content? Is the storage/ installation space climate controlled? What is the expected movement in service? Are you going to be able to pull the panels in against the wall without breaking the glue joints? Sounds fraught... I would want a bomber edge joint if there were any significant cupping or expected movement in the assembly.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 09-22-2022 at 12:25 AM.