Thread: Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Completed this parlor size guitar. I purchased the soundboard, but the rest was from scraps.
    Top is spruce. The rest is walnut.

g1.jpgg2.jpg
    g3.jpgg4.jpg
    g7.jpg

Blog Entries
    Lovely! The neck carving looks really nice. It all looks excellent!
    Best Regards, Maurice

Did you make the forms for bending the sides?
    < insert spurious quote here >

Very nice!

Outstanding project, Prashun. I've really enjoy it, both these finished photos here and the whole project on TDPRI.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Beautiful “classic” guitar. If you make another one , I suggest that instead of the the flat - top tuning head ,a more traditional one be used.
    Gives it more ‘gravity’ , height ,and similitude with the graceful body curves.

Thanks. I used the Antes plans from LMII. That called for a flat head.

Mel, This is my second acoustic. The neck is actually a Les Paul width and scale length. The thickness is also only about 3” and the radius on the top and back deviates from the plans. It was my first slotted head so I didn’t go nuts on modifying that design.

Truth be told I am really interested in experimenting with either new techniques or novel designs so unfortunately i will probably be making a few more design mistakes in the future.

Stan, yes I did make my own bending forms and molds. I steam bent the sides. I haven’t mastered the bending iron yet, but I can see how great that will be. There is something magical about being able to feel the wood give way under the iron, and then coaxing it into a bend, feeling where the bend limit is. I am working on an arch top now with a double cutaway that is going to be a challenge to bend.

That's beautiful Prashun!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Beautiful work! Have you strung it up; how does it sound?
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Blog Entries
    I am continuing to enjoy looking at it and like David hope you treat us to a sound sample. The square top peg box is absolutely correct for this guitar. These are a truly Classic guitar. Parlor Guitars are not Classical guitars.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Prashun, I had heard that walnut was difficult to bend. Did you find that to be true?
    < insert spurious quote here >

Stan, not particularly. My difficulties with it are more related to the fact that I was using kiln dried walnut. I did get cracking on some attempts. Soaking helps. I steam bent it.

That's an important point, Prashun...KD lumber gets altered by the process to some extent which can make it more difficult to manipulate "away from straight".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Rob MacKillop just posted this. A very similar looking Guitar. lovely to see and hear!
    Best Regards, Maurice