Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Woodworking YouTubers?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Woodworking YouTubers?

Curious to know who some of your favorite woodworkers on YouTube are.

The algorithm seems to hide a lot of the lesser known folks, which is a shame as I'm sure there are some great ones who just haven't been discovered yet.
    - Jason White
    YouTube.com/UncleJasonsWorkshop

I've found you have to get away from the popular DIY channels to get the lesser known ones to pop up in your feed. Here are a few I like:

Some lesser known channels:
    Dylan Iwakuni
    Ishitani Furniture
    Kobeomsuk furniture
    leaf-works
    SQUARERULE FURNITURE
    KASHO Furniture Studio

Some better known channels:
    Canadian Woodworks
    Andy Rawls
    parillaworks

Looking forward to some new recommendations from others!

I have very strong opinions about TV and YouTube woodworkers and I will keep most of it to myself. I will say it's my opinion that if you have less than 5 years of experience building furniture, you don't qualify to teach (I mean entertain).

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I have very strong opinions about TV and YouTube woodworkers and I will keep most of it to myself. I will say it's my opinion that if you have less than 5 years of experience building furniture, you don't qualify to teach (I mean entertain).

I share Richard's sentiment on this.

Thanks for the links Keegan, there are one or two I'm not familiar with

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I share Richard's sentiment on this…
    I DEEPLY share Richard’s sentiment on this!

YouTube has developed into a race to the bottom, where it makes no difference what you post as long as it has a catchy title to act as Click Bait. The entertainers have deeply buried the real woodworkers who have a valuable lesson to offer. It is now all about money. Skills are digital and do not lie in the tools. Would you watch my videos if I wore tights?

Regards from Perth

Derek

I pictured Derek in tights, and my mouse froze. It would not go to YouTube.

Some of you might like Nick Pedulla’s channel - He’s in Sydney and I think it’s called Pedulla Studio. Basically no talking/voiceover, very nice pro shop, very high level custom commission work, beautiful design and execution.

Ishitani will always be my favorite, I think.
    Still waters run deep.

There is useful information found in furniture restorers, such as Scott Bennett/Fixing Furniture, and Thomas Johnson Antique Furniture Restoration.

Rob Cosman offers good, sound advice on furniture construction and traditional joinery, but one had to ignore the sales pitches.

Phil Lowe has a few videos on using handtools. He passed away a few years ago now, but must be ranked among the best teachers.

Sampson Boat Co. This is the restoration of a sailboat, and is filled with interesting joinery and working in out-of-square situations. Lots of power and handtool content. Highly recommended. Start at the beginning (about 3 years ago now) and you will be hooked!

Ishitani. A relaxing look at building Mid Century/Japanese influenced furniture with Western joinery using mostly power and some hand tools in a rural setting in Japan.

Doucette and Wolfe Furniture Makers. Stunning furniture, complex builds, inspiring power and hand tools, beautifully filmed.

Mike wanted to know if any of us here had a channel. I do, but it is for die-hards who will ignore my sex appeal and concentrate on the techniques I demonstrate. I imagine doing a search for my name would get you there. Don’t blame me - I warned you!

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 09-21-2022 at 9:15 PM.

I want to second Derek's shout-out for Sampson Boat Company. My wife and I have been watching it faithfully since the first episode (an episode is published every 2 weeks). The shipwright work is first rate, particularly the joinery. It's not a 'how to' channel. Basically it shows people building a large wooden boat. And it's utterly fascinating. I'd also like to point out that the project is financed almost entirely through the patronage of a huge world-wide YouTube audience. No YouTube, no boat. Other channels I enjoy (and I confess a preference for old time craftsmanship--must be my age): Engels Coach Shop; Thomas Johnson Antique Furniture Restoration; and, finally, from film shot in Ireland in the 70's, Old Irish Craftwork--I proudly count myself among their 815 subscribers. And, as mentioned by several others, I find watching Ishitani a meditative experience.
    After the revolution, who's going to pick up the garbage on Monday morning?
    --Mierle Laderman Ukeles--

I watch both Rob Cosman (watched him live tonight) and Sampson Boat Co.

A few more to consider:
    Pask Makes from Australia, both woodworking and metal working. https://www.youtube.com/c/PaskMakes
    BlackTail Studios https://www.blacktailstudio.com/giveaway
    WoodGears Matthias Wandel, mainly for his earlier shop made tools like bandsaws, not so much for recent posts https://www.youtube.com/c/Matthiaswandel
    Next Level Carpentry, videos are a bit lengthy but informative https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...evel+carpentry
    Fisher's Shop, quirky sense of humor but some interesting builds https://www.youtube.com/c/FishersShop
    KRTWood artistic woodworking https://www.youtube.com/user/krtwoodworking
    Marius Hornburger, German precision https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn7...VGV0qmEEBT6NyA
    Sawyer Design nothing simple https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClH...kHMLwUwrn7eErQ
    Hooked on Wood, mainly for chinese tool reviews https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuv...qSoYc32Xk5MLfQ

I'll echo the sentiment of others who say they've appreciated learning of some new channels here. I started a channel a while ago but don't try and make much Hollywood pizzaz with it, very low budget! I get so many questions about shaper tooling I use that it's sometimes more efficient to make a video for people to refer to than answer a lot of individual questions. It takes so much time to put together even my low budget, non-professional versions that I just don't have time to put together many. I am restarting the timberframe shop build thread though as I get a lot of questions about it.

I really do enjoy the process of making, but it takes up a lot more space than I anticipated and when I'm in the new shop it will be a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by brent stanley View Post
    I'll echo the sentiment of others who say they've appreciated learning of some new channels here. I started a channel a while ago but don't try and make much Hollywood pizzaz with it, very low budget! I get so many questions about shaper tooling I use that it's sometimes more efficient to make a video for people to refer to than answer a lot of individual questions. It takes so much time to put together even my low budget, non-professional versions that I just don't have time to put together many. I am restarting the timberframe shop build thread though as I get a lot of questions about it.

I really do enjoy the process of making, but it takes up a lot more space than I anticipated and when I'm in the new shop it will be a lot easier.
    Brent, i am eagerly waiting for the completion of the timber frame shop. There is very little instructional content on timber framing, and i was bummed you hurt your back a year or two ago and put the project on hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Sampson Boat Co. This is the restoration of a sailboat, and is filled with interesting joinery and working in out-of-square situations. Lots of power and handtool content. Highly recommended. Start at the beginning (about 3 years ago now) and you will be hooked!
    Thanks for the suggestion! Started watching last week and it's very interesting. Always had a fondness for wooden boats but Leo takes it to another level.

If you want to see innovative jig and toolmaking, check out JSK-Koubou and prepare to be amazed.
    There is no dialogue in his videos.