Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking YouTubers?

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    Yep, exactly. A few years ago, I was looking for thoughts and installation tips for an Onieda DC I was thinking about buying. I found most YT vids from woodworkers who were given an Onieda system. Of course, they gave raving reviews.
    You'll find the same with other brands of machines, too...sponsorships are the norm these days. But some folks are still not afraid to say what they don't like, too. That's one reason why it's important not to depend upon any one content creator for a tool review.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You'll find the same with other brands of machines, too...sponsorships are the norm these days. But some folks are still not afraid to say what they don't like, too. That's one reason why it's important not to depend upon any one content creator for a tool review.

Very true, you need to get as much info from as many different sources as practical.
    No single company has the tool solution for everything, we all own many different brands of tools for a reason.
    When CC's are sponsored and given an entire line of products, they may have to promote a product that may not be the best tool or best choice for the job. Even if you're getting paid or compensated with tools, it's not something everyone can do, promote something you don't believe in.
    Although, IMO, not many of them think about it that much.
    Many times it's just easier to watch and see what the (un-sponsered) pros are using

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post

Don't hate me, but I also like April Wilkerson. OK, I admit I could watch her on Mute, but I like her practical solutions to fixing up her homestead. You could argue very little of her content is woodworking and more carpentry, but that's OK. I still learn things and that matters to me.
    Have you ever noticed that if you watch one female woodworker on YouTube, your home page is suddenly filled with suggestions to watch lady DIY'ers in yoga pants, showing lots of cleavage 'making things'?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Folks I watch include:

Matt Cremona
    Bent's Woodworking
    FourEyes Furniture
    The WoodWhisperer
    Andy Rawls
    Bourbon Moth Woodworking
    YouCanMakeThisToo
    Mike Farrington
    3x3Custom (Tamara)
    Tim Sway
    Michael Alm
    Frank Howarth
    Blacktail Studio
    Jay Bates
    Third Coast Craftsman
    Crafted Workshop
    lignum
    Burls Art
    Darrell Pert
    RR Buildings
    This is pretty much my list also .I've been doing this long enough that I'm not looking for instruction or how to do much of anything . It's my entertainment on TV more than anything else , and I know that I'll see things I wouldn't do . Thats fine . I realize my demographic ( old as dirt ) , is not going to find much to watch . I'm grateful for YouTube , as I can select what I like .

I've enjoyed seeing the recommendations on this thread, and just wanted to share one of my favorites that I haven't yet seen mentioned: Laura Kampf.

Fits more of a "maker" profile. But her production is incredible. Usually not much talking, just shots of her doing the work that are tightly edited (and a great soundtrack if you like the type of music she uses).

https://youtu.be/zjqWvpdNbms

It is not strictly a woodworking channel, but Engel's Coach Shop may well be my favorite. Dave Engel seems to be adept at every craft that touches building of wooden wheels, wagons, and carriages. From iron work to wood work to upholstery and leather work, he does it all, beautifully, with a motley collection of old, new, shop-made, shop-altered, and repurposed tools. Truly a master of many crafts.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    Yep, exactly. A few years ago, I was looking for thoughts and installation tips for an Onieda DC I was thinking about buying. I found most YT vids from woodworkers who were given an Onieda system. Of course, they gave raving reviews.

Oh, and did you ever notice that 41% (OK, I made that number up) of ww youtubers are standing in front of a wall full of Woodpecker tools?
    The other 59% are standing in front of a wall full of hand planes next to a rack full of clamps
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 09-26-2022 at 2:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    Have you ever noticed that if you watch one female woodworker on YouTube, your home page is suddenly filled with suggestions to watch lady DIY'ers in yoga pants, showing lots of cleavage 'making things'?
    And the downside is?

I've also just discovered the " This Old House Makers Channel " , made up of the same youtubers we are discussing . How long has this been around ?

I'm curious who is choosing YouTube channels primarily to learn something new/fresh ideas, and who is watching mainly for entertainment?

A couple of people here have mentioned Sawyer Design (https://www.youtube.com/c/SawyerDesign). He is no doubt a good craftsman and the videos are visually interesting, although my wife says the music is a bit loud. I feel like I should be learning something but don't? I think its how rapidly he moves through the build which I think is mostly for the artistic aspect. Lots of great woodworking shots though. Just curious for those following that channel, what are you getting out of it?
    Last edited by derek labian; 09-26-2022 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by derek labian View Post
    I'm curious who is choosing YouTube channels primarily to learn something new/fresh ideas, and who is watching mainly for entertainment?

I typically only watch to learn something new. It may just be work flow but may be how to do something I can't currently do or it may be to learn about a product I am considering. This is really the content I try to create too on my own channel. I don't watch for entertainment at all. I certainly appreciate some neat little flourishes a creater might add, but they're not necessary for me as a viewer.

Quote Originally Posted by fred woltersdorf View Post
    And the downside is?
    Trying to find a rational explanation when the girlfriend takes notice of the queued up videos.......

I do appreciate the resource which YouTube has become. While Sturgeon's Law definitely applies, that other 10% is really nice to have. I recall visiting my local library in the 1980s looking for Woodworking books. I couldn't find any. When I asked the librarian, she got really snooty and said, "Oh, I don't know, have you tried carpentry?". I informed her I had seen the carpentry books which were all about building sheds and framing houses and that woodworking was something completely different. For this she had no answer.

I did manage to accumulate some actual woodworking books which I still have. This includes Norm's original "New Yankee Workshop" in hardcover and a really spiffy Fine Woodworking collection.

Those books are great, but it sure is cool to browse videos from the comfort of my basement futon without any snooty librarians to deal with. :-) If the video sucks, no big deal. Move on to the next one without having to drive anywhere or eat the cost of a lousy book.

Great channel I had not heard of Rod! Thanks for sharing.

In general I like most of the guys mentioned but the unsubscribe point for me is when they get a big cnc and almost every video goes there, unless they are showing the programming. They may as well film their dustbin filling up. If I cant learn from it its not worth watching with few exceptions(broinwood/Mtmwood/a few others that are more for calming then learning)

https://www.youtube.com/c/kyletoth I havent seen him mentioned he is an awesome turner thats fun to watch. He hasnt been to active though