Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Woodworking YouTubers?

Woodworking YouTubers?

Curious to know who some of your favorite woodworkers on YouTube are.

The algorithm seems to hide a lot of the lesser known folks, which is a shame as I'm sure there are some great ones who just haven't been discovered yet.
    - Jason White
    YouTube.com/UncleJasonsWorkshop

I've found you have to get away from the popular DIY channels to get the lesser known ones to pop up in your feed. Here are a few I like:

Some lesser known channels:
    Dylan Iwakuni
    Ishitani Furniture
    Kobeomsuk furniture
    leaf-works
    SQUARERULE FURNITURE
    KASHO Furniture Studio

Some better known channels:
    Canadian Woodworks
    Andy Rawls
    parillaworks

Looking forward to some new recommendations from others!

I have very strong opinions about TV and YouTube woodworkers and I will keep most of it to myself. I will say it's my opinion that if you have less than 5 years of experience building furniture, you don't qualify to teach (I mean entertain).

I like the videos where people don't show themselves talking too much - even better, not talking at all.

Kobeomsuk and Ishitani are calming and inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I have very strong opinions about TV and YouTube woodworkers and I will keep most of it to myself. I will say it's my opinion that if you have less than 5 years of experience building furniture, you don't qualify to teach (I mean entertain).

I share Richard's sentiment on this.

Thanks for the links Keegan, there are one or two I'm not familiar with

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I share Richard's sentiment on this…
    I DEEPLY share Richard’s sentiment on this!

YouTube has developed into a race to the bottom, where it makes no difference what you post as long as it has a catchy title to act as Click Bait. The entertainers have deeply buried the real woodworkers who have a valuable lesson to offer. It is now all about money. Skills are digital and do not lie in the tools. Would you watch my videos if I wore tights?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Prashun - that's the style I enjoy as well. Channels where its clear the person has deep skill and earns their living making furniture, not being a content creator.

Richard - very fair points - give the channels Prashun suggests a try. They are the opposite of the obnoxious content creator types with high subscriber counts.

I always pick up some new techniques, a new way to approach an operation, or neat design elements.

If you want to see innovative jig and toolmaking, check out JSK-Koubou and prepare to be amazed.
    There is no dialogue in his videos.

If you are interested in finish trim carpentry then I suggest, Insider Carpentry - Spencer Lewis

https://www.youtube.com/c/InsiderCarpentry

If you love just watching them work here is my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/c/YoungJe

He does amazing work building furniture and hand tools.

I submit these guys.
    This might be one of the first video of woodworking. American talent right here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5adk_8...ist=WL&index=4
    Aj

Does anyone here have a YouTube Channel that they post tutorials to?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Curious to know who some of your favorite woodworkers on YouTube are.

The algorithm seems to hide a lot of the lesser known folks, which is a shame as I'm sure there are some great ones who just haven't been discovered yet.
    I think you have it wrong. The algorithm isn't hiding lesser known folks, its elevating popular content. At some point content is surfaced to a test set of users, and depending on how those users react, it will scale or it won't. If some creators are not being highlighted as much, its because not as many people responding positively or they haven't hit a scale/inflection point. It's also positive it's an overall smaller audience segment. "Click-Bait" does work which is why it happens.

As far as a race to the bottom, I couldn't disagree more. YouTube content in general is continuing to improve in quality due to the large number of ad dollars flowing in.

People like different types of content, and some people will like a lot of face time, while others (as per this thread) like silent demonstration.

I think there's room for a lot of different takes and types of content, just subscribe to the ones you like.

Keegan, nice suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post

The thing that annoys me is when the YouoTuber takes on sponsorships. Then they are beholden to the company and lose credibility.

Oh, and then they go from woodworking to "TOP 10 MUST HAVE TOOLS FOR UNDER $25!!!!!".

It's a shame.

Young Je is a favorite of mine.

Craft supplies USA for wood turning tutorials

I like Rob Cosman for hand tool setup

Darrel Peart for G&G and general craftsmanship.