Thread: laser tube and power supply

laser tube and power supply

I have 2 lasers one is a 60 watt and the other is a 130 watt. The 130 watt laser needs a new tube but the power supply is good and the 60 watt needs a new power supply. I was wondering if I could use the 130 watt power supply and keep it below 40% power to cut. I don't engrave just cut parts for trade shows displays.

Laser power supply

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I have 2 lasers one is a 60 watt and the other is a 130 watt. The 130 watt laser needs a new tube but the power supply is good and the 60 watt needs a new power supply. I was wondering if I could use the 130 watt power supply and keep it below 40% power to cut. I don't engrave just cut parts for trade shows displays.
    Hi Jerome, I may be able to help you with this. Do you have schematics of both laser units? We have to be sure that the wiring is the same, or make an adapter cable. In the unlikely case that either of the power supplies are directly controlled from the computer board, it will be more complicated. Take a look at the ratings printed on the two supplies. As long as the voltages are the same, it should work, providing that the current rating of the supply being replaced is less than or equal to the replacement supply. Photos of the supplies and their connections will help.
    Also, the broken supply is likely fixed easily. There is often a small fuse mounted on the power supply PC board. It's the fuse of last resort and should never blow, at least before thermal cycling causes the small fusable wire to fatigue and break. It's going to have to be replaced with one of the same current rating, and will have to be soldered in. The second usual failure point is the output driver driver transistors. This will likely be a MOSFET on a newer laser supply. These usually cost 5 bucks or less.