Thread: Anyone making a gas washer/dryer unit again?

Anyone making a gas washer/dryer unit again?

Time to replace the dryer. Is anyone making a gas washer dryer combo machine again? They quit making them around 1960. They do make them in electric but it is not heated it condenses the water and does not fully dry the load. It has to be hung up to dry after the dryer has run its course.
    With all the aging baby boomers seems like a Duomatic type machine would sell well as it saves lifting heavy wet clothes.
    Bill D

Just do a search for gas washer dryer combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Just do a search for gas washer dryer combo.
    Nothing comes up except the two piece ones. I am looking for the one piece units like they made in the 1950's. Most where electric dryer but a few gas designs came out right before they killed off the concept. Bendix and Philco are the only makers I now of.
    BillD

Our neighbors had one delivered last week. Ron got the same results I did.

I think that Bill Dufour is looking for a machine that washes and dries the laundry in the same drum, rather than having to take the wet clothes out of the washed and put them in the dryer. If I am right about that then the machines in the list would not be relevant to him, because they are all stacked units rather than single.

One unit that does both wash and dry is the common thing in Europe. Not sure gas powered is common however.
    < insert spurious quote here >

If you (or whomever) goes this route, be sure to do one of the stacked units that has a separate dryer and washer. The "all in one" units wash very well, but do not dry well, even for a "half load". We had experience with this relative to the unit that was installed in our daughter's apartment as a "new design" incentive...it sucked big time and the complex took them out and gave everyone a generous voucher for the regular laundry facility in the building. Those units run on 120v and cannot develop the heat necessary to do the job.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, that is what I have heard the more modern technology is about 70 years behind now. The gas units dried just fine even the electric heated units were okay if slower.
    They no longer make heated dryers in the combo machines. Just the condensing type which do not work well.
    Bill D.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1165123...c-washer-dryer

Ron and Myk those look to all be two piece units where you have to remember to move heavy wet clothes around, the older designs avoided that extra step.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Ron and Myk those look to all be two piece units where you have to remember to move heavy wet clothes around, the older designs avoided that extra step.
    Bill D
    A significant improvement of modern washers is the spin cycle is faster and gets rid of more water than older units. This reduces the weight of the wet clothes and saves energy when drying.

No experience with "home" units, but Splendide has been making all-in-one washer/dryer units for RV's for years. Yeah, slow to dry but mostly due to the 110v issue. But still beats a special trip to the laundromat
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    One unit that does both wash and dry is the common thing in Europe. Not sure gas powered is common however.
    Very true, we experienced one of the units while in Italy. The washer function seemed to work pretty well, although the drum was painfully small, the dryer really didn’t do too much drying at all, well actually pretty close to none IIRC.

I have the large LG steam washer combo unit that runs on 110 A/C. I purchased it because of a space issue and it's now 8 years old and has been trouble free. I agree with all the comments made about drying time. With the max drying time selected it takes over 3 hours to do a load, but for a retired person like me that is of no consequence. I would say that 80-85% of the clothes I wash come out dry and for the things that don't you can run a separate, short spin and dry cycle. Like many new dryers this unit has a feature that will keep tumbling the clothes to prevent wrinkles if you're not around when the cycle is done. But the real beauty of a combo unit is not having to be there to transfer wet clothes from a washer to a dryer. I understand that combo units are not for everyone and there are trade offs, like the drying time issue, but even if space weren't an issue for me I would still go this route.

One note: a single-drum combo would be a "fire-and-forget" operation...for one load.
    For normal multiple-load usage (e.g. separating colors and whites), laundry day would take twice as long.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.