Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for Bosch Glide miter saw opinions?

After a couple days flip-flopping between the Bosch Glide and the Bosch 8 1/2" Rich mentioned I finally decided on the Glide. Finding a factory reconditioned unit for $500 played a big part in my decision.

Now my attention shifts to which gravity rise stand; DeWalt, Bosch or ?. The DeWalt is probably bulletproof, the Bosch appears a bit more refined but at a cost. At least I can actually see the DeWalt before I decide.

Lloyd, I had the dewalt version with my saw initially. Careful when first opening/using during assembly. The gas cylinder has a lot of omph. The directions and plenty of videos on the web guide you through it, but in my case I accidentally missed a step in the directions and popped it open unexpectedly. It jumped off the ground without the saw mounted on it. I picked up the stand thinking it would be compact and easy to move out of the way. However, I found that with the stand and saw folded down, it still took up a large footprint. The other thing I noticed is that it wasn't quite as stable on unlevel concrete as the sawhorse style stands. From everything I've read, the Bosch version is a much nicer stand but I've never used one. From the pictures though, it looks like it might be more stable with a wider wheel spread than the dewalt. One other point, on the DW716 I didn't feel that the pull out support extensions lined up very well with the saw table. The stand includes a good bit of adjustment but to truly get them in alignment, you had to push the saw mostly to one side which made it feel more unstable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd McKinlay View Post
    After a couple days flip-flopping between the Bosch Glide and the Bosch 8 1/2" Rich mentioned I finally decided on the Glide. Finding a factory reconditioned unit for $500 played a big part in my decision.

Now my attention shifts to which gravity rise stand; DeWalt, Bosch or ?. The DeWalt is probably bulletproof, the Bosch appears a bit more refined but at a cost. At least I can actually see the DeWalt before I decide.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 09-22-2022 at 12:00 PM.

I have a 10" makita slider and a Dewalt single bevel 10" non-slider. I love the simple, fairly lightweight Dewalt. It's far simpler, more accurate and safer than a slider. The ONLY times I pull my Slider out of the shop is when I I absolutely need the extra capacity. If there are going to be just few larger cuts, I'll pull out the speed square and skil saw rather than bring the big saw.

Blog Entries
    My experience is very old.

my wife gave me one for Christmas and I found that the base sagged about 1/32” at the center. Bosch was wonderful about it. It so happened that The Woodworking Show was coming to town. The Bosch tech took the time to come to my house with two saws. All three had the same problem. I returned the Glide and my wife felt bad so she bought me a Sawstop ICS. I love my wife.

Around the same time, I read that other buyers had problems getting the Glide to cut perpendicular to the fence. It had to do with the forward motion of the saw not being co-planer with the blade. This is easy to test. Just put a dial indicator on the blade at the down position. Move the blade forward and back. The indicator shouldn’t change. Back when I read about this, there was no way to adjust.

+1 on the Bosch Gravity. I use it with my old Dewalt and it’s great.

I had the Bosch CM8S (8 1/2" slider), and currently have the Dewalt 716. As a trim carpenter who does a fair number of built-ins on the side, the 716 is better for large moldings, and my Bosch track saw will crosscut wider pieces than any slider.

All that said, I loved the CM8S and sometimes think about getting another to keep with my cordless nailer for small jobs where I don't feel like going to the shop and loading up all the tools

I have the Bosch 12". No problems with the accuracy. However, it's a monster, so it stays on my cart in my shop. Much too heavy to move on a regular basis.

When I go somewhere to help a friend or need a cut on the other side of the house, I carry my 26# Milwaukee 7 ¼“ SCMS, which bevels both ways.