Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

19 Sep 2022

Greetings,
    Spent a bit of time in the shop making a cutting board for a local school to auction off to help raise money for the school. No charge to the school, time and materials are donated by me to help the local school. Spent some time with the family, cooked a brisket on the pellet grill and relaxed as much as I could. Supposed to be pretty warm here again this week, near 100 degrees F and then....maybe.....it will start cooling off again next week. I can only hope.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

'Hope you can get more and more shop time, Dennis. Maybe your son and you can do some more projects together.

Well, my week was pretty much focused on the shop build. It went up last Monday...07:15 start and 15:00 completion. I just posted an entertaining time lapse video in my shop build thread: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....80#post3214180

I also got some other things done as detailed in that thread. Next up is concrete prep on Thursday with the pour next Monday. I sure hope I can get my electrician to cooperate and at least deal with the building end before that or provide me with the material so I can bring the conduit up before the floor pour and hopefully, before the prep, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Enjoying good weather lately and continuing to mostly work on outdoor projects. I'm getting close to finishing the new 8x16 blueberry enclosure:

IMG_1423.jpg

I still have to build the door and staple the hardware cloth to the "roof" and a couple other minor things. Weather permitting I'll wrap that up this week. I took advantage of some deck space to build a quick fixture to assemble the roughly 8x8 modules that I then joined to make the enclosure:

IMG_1420.jpg

I used some scrap plywood pieces to hold the 2x2s in alignment for assembly and attachment of the hardware cloth. The 2x2s pretty much all had some bow so the fixture holds them straight. Once the hardware cloth is on they stay straight enough. Conveniently, a #10 screw fits into the gap between the deck boards just tightly enough to hold the fixtures in place without visibly scaring the deck planks. It took a few hours to set up the fixtures but I think it was way easier to build the modules on the flat rather than having to fight with that stiff hardware cloth standing up.

Mary is happy with the enclosure and looking forward to transplanting the bushes once they go dormant for the winter. She says she saw the squirrels with their tape measures and note pads making plans, but I'm pretty confident the new enclosure will keep them out. I did not share with Mary how much the materials for this habitat cost because...well...happy wife, happy life! And woodworkers with lots of tools should not throw stones about cost...

One other project I'm working on is for Mary's upcoming BDay. We recently lost Golda, our golden/husky mix. Golda used to love "helping" Mary on laundry day. She would just lay in the laundry room and nap; I guess she liked the hum of the machines. Anyway, Mary misses her helper so we put a picture of Golda in there with a couple of her toys. So I'm making a dog bone picture frame to hold the photo and a floating shelf for the toys as a little more permanent memorial.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Cleaned out my son's bedroom a few weeks ago. The cats made a mess (!!) of the carpet, so all the furniture and carpeting and junk went to the landfill. The 1930s double hung windows in his room were really loose and so I glued on some Fir I had running around, got the units to fit a little better, with new putty all around; painted the outsides. Soon winter will be here, and I'll have time to sand the floor and re-varnish.
    In 2016 I built 3 podiums for a friend's family who sits in the front row of our synagogue, and had no place to hold the prayer books during the LOOOOOOONG personal, standing parts of the service. He asked me this year to build a 4th, as his son now needs one. I can tell you, material prices have gone up dramatically!
    At the moent, I've put aside the podium, because I need to re-cover the open grid emergency stairs on the outside of the Synagogue. I was tired of replacing the plywood every 5 years, deteriorated by no maintenance being done; I'm putting on composite.
    That's it for this week.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.