Thread: Shims to center wood drawer?

Shims to center wood drawer?

I’ve made a basic desk that is basically a box with one large drawer in it. Box is built and drawer is built and fit perfectly with 1/32 gap on all sides. Now I realized I need to lift the drawer by 1/32 so it appears centered and it doesn’t rub the bottom rail over time.

anyone solve for this before with brass shim stock or something else? Not sure I can rip a 1/32 piece of wood accurately…

Slick strips. They're very slippery strips, usually 1/32" thick, with peel-and-stick adhesive on the back. Here's one source, but they're available from many woodworking sites. https://www.woodcraft.com/products/s...RoCZEcQAvD_BwE

That looks perfect!

I just realized my solid wood bottom that is 20” wide will have some movement. I guess this will stretch with the wood much better than brass. Maybe I should cut it into a few sections to allow for movement…

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rosner View Post
    That looks perfect!

I just realized my solid wood bottom that is 20” wide will have some movement. I guess this will stretch with the wood much better than brass. Maybe I should cut it into a few sections to allow for movement…
    Or maybe you stick the slick strips to the casework -- whatever the drawer is riding on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Slick strips. They're very slippery strips, usually 1/32" thick, with peel-and-stick adhesive on the back. Here's one source, but they're available from many woodworking sites. https://www.woodcraft.com/products/s...RoCZEcQAvD_BwE
    That's pretty cool! Thanks for sharing.