Thread: Early Stanley 5 1/2 frog replacement – any other planes compatible?

Early Stanley 5 1/2 frog replacement – any other planes compatible?

I got a good deal on a Type 9 Stanley 5 1/2C with a damaged frog – the upper portion (including the lateral adjuster) is broken off. It is usable, but I wouldn't mind replacing the frog. That being said, Type 9 frogs seem to be pricey (as in triple what I paid for it) – are there any other planes with frogs compatible? This is the 2 1/4" frog, not the later 2 3/8" frog.

That would be a Union No. 5 A......IF you can find one..
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Bancroft View Post
    I got a good deal on a Type 9 Stanley 5 1/2C with a damaged frog – the upper portion (including the lateral adjuster) is broken off. It is usable, but I wouldn't mind replacing the frog. That being said, Type 9 frogs seem to be pricey (as in triple what I paid for it) – are there any other planes with frogs compatible? This is the 2 1/4" frog, not the later 2 3/8" frog.
    Tyler, another problem you may encounter is there are at least a couple of different frogs on type 9 planes:

Type 9 frogs and bases.jpg

Note especially the one on the left compared to the two on the right. The left is an early frog with a small opening and small rib. On the far right is the later type with the larger opening and a couple of bosses that can be filed for a tighter fit. The second from the left is a #6 and the second from the right is more of a middle of the type range. Make sure if you buy another it is the same as the one you are replacing.

If you have a later type 9, the frogs up to ~1939 should work. If you have an early type 9, you may need to find an early one to replace it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You can adjust the iron by tapping the sides with a small hammer. The lateral adjustment lever is nice to have but is not show stopper issue. You can get your plane in working order now and hunt for a replacement over time.