Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stewmac Ultimate Scraper?

Yikes, it should work better than that, even new. Mine all came sharpened.
    Did you:
    - follow the sharpening and use instructions in the video on the StewMac web page?
    - try a different piece of wood, and try scraping at different angles to the grain? (What kind of wood, maybe I could try mine on the same type?)
    - try the scraper from both sides?
    I don’t think the 180 grit would be too coarse for sharpening, at least for now. I think it is best for the platform to be at precisely 90-deg so the scraper will work the same on both sides. Before making a gauge (and sorry, I’m sure you know this) I like to darken a place on the edge with a sharpie, set the platform where I think it’s 90-deg, hold the scraper against it, turn it a little by hand, then look at the scratches to see if the center of the concavity is above or below center and adjust as needed.

Did you get the large flat one? I got the impression it was best for convex curves like guitar necks, but I don’t remember if I read that somewhere.

Another think you can do: call StewMac. I did that once with some questions and suggestions and the person I got was quite knowledgeable and helpful.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Well, it looks like I'm on a learning curve.....
    * Scraper arrived today and I tried it right out of the box on some poplar. I got crumbles but no shavings.
    * So I polished the sides on a diamond stone (this thing is some HARD steel). I tried it again, making sure (again) to keep the scraper close to vertical. But it didnt work any better.
    * The finest grinding wheel I currently have is 180 grit, so I'll need to find something finer and resharpen.

This has got to be operator error.

More as I learn it.
    Fred

Blog Entries
    Well, it looks like I'm on a learning curve.....
    Keep trying, it took me years to get results from a scraper. Now I am working on getting better results.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

John, Jim, thank you. I have it mostly figured out now.

I reground the edge because I'd flatted it on the stone trying to figure this out. I also made a jig/pattern for 90*. Then I went back to work, changing my scraping angle relative to the direction of the grain. I think THAT was what I missed.
    * Im still getting crumbles on poplar, even trying different pieces
    * But I tried Walnut, Maple and Mahogany and I get proper shavings.
    I think I'll like this better than card scrapers. It was a whole lot easier to sharpen and put to work.

Thanks guys!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Excellent!

I'd have to try again to be sure but I think for poplar (and to clarify, yellow/tulip poplar, not "true" poplar Liriodendron tulipifera) I may have needed to raise a significant burr with a burnisher.

As for the angle, I thought I remembered writing something about that in one of my documents and I found this short paragraph in a section concerning scraping turned surfaces with compound curves: "Always scrape "downhill" and with the grain using light overlapping strokes. ... If one direction doesn't seem to work, try a different angle."
    IMG_7499_e.jpg

I'm certainly no expert but all this makes me want to do a video on the way I prepare and use various hand and negative rake scrapers, especially related to my favorite topic, woodturning. I'm convinced that if more people used scrapers they would find their surfaces smoother, less distorted, with less sanding and in much less time. Add to the list...

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    John, Jim, thank you. I have it mostly figured out now.

I reground the edge because I'd flatted it on the stone trying to figure this out. I also made a jig/pattern for 90*. Then I went back to work, changing my scraping angle relative to the direction of the grain. I think THAT was what I missed.
    * Im still getting crumbles on poplar, even trying different pieces
    * But I tried Walnut, Maple and Mahogany and I get proper shavings.
    I think I'll like this better than card scrapers. It was a whole lot easier to sharpen and put to work.

Thanks guys!
    Fred
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 09-24-2022 at 9:37 PM.

Having read this thread I ordered a scraper from Stew Mac. Excellent tool. If anyone is on the fence I don't think you'll regret having it in your toolbox.
    It also comes with a small velvety storage bag, so its less likely to get banged up in the drawer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Having read this thread I ordered a scraper from Stew Mac. Excellent tool. If anyone is on the fence I don't think you'll regret having it in your toolbox.
    Glad to hear it Mark!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”