Thread: Another useful tip from Lou Sauzedde - Scraper

Another useful tip from Lou Sauzedde - Scraper

Stumbled across this timely and useful video recently after experiencing some planing marks left from my vintage Northfield 12" jointer. Some of the blades developed nicks and need sharpening bit this tip removes the ridges in the meantime. Lou always amazes me with his no nonsense approach to woodworking.

Last edited by Steve Mathews; 09-17-2022 at 12:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    Great video. My favorite Louie video is one where Ryobi sent him an electric plane and he tore it down and threw away a bunch of parts.

Looks like that works pretty well. Thanks for the tip. I have one of those Red Devils, so I'll go play around with it as he suggests.

Just an aside. You can also use a traditional card scraper, or for small pieces, a single edged razor blade.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Stumbled across this timely and useful video recently after experiencing some planing marks left from my vintage Northfield 12" jointer….
    Nice tip. As a certified card-carrying hand scraper fanatic I’ve long used cabinet scrapers to remove grooves from a nick in a planer blade I haven’t bothered to sharpen.

I like his modified handled flat scraper! I make good use of handled curved scrapers I made for woodturning.

Noce video, I’ll have to look up some of his . Thanks for sharing this.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Great video. My favorite Louie video is one where Ryobi sent him an electric plane and he tore it down and threw away a bunch of parts.
    Here's the video that Roger mentions. Somehow I missed this one. No one will ever accuse Lou of pandering to a tool manufacturer.

Thanks for sharing this Steve. Lou rules! Can I be the first to say: That bandsaw!!

I have filed away more than a few Red Devil scrapers working on old houses. I file a little more perpendicular to the cutting edge than he does, but don't expect it makes much difference.

I like Simonds 8" smooth files for this job. This was the first link I found. You don't need to buy a whole box at the time. One file lasts a Long time.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/98791270

Here is the exact scraper we use more than any other. They are sold in floor finishing supplier stores. Corners of floors get scraped as round disks can't get into them. These come in different widths, but you can get more pressure on the 1" blade, and unless you are a Real Beast, the rest of us get more work done with the 1". They use Red Devil blades. The supplier will tell you that they sell more 1" than any other. The long handle lets you use both hands, and in spite of the handle being so simple, it's very comfortable to use.

The shape of the handle makes it easier to find a good place to file it. I set the handle on edge, and file pushing the file away from me. I use a little bit of an angle so the file goes the entire width of the blade in one stroke, but it's not mush past 90 degrees-different than in this video.

https://www.floorsupplies.net/produc...RoCMNIQAvD_BwE
    Last edited by Tom M King; 09-19-2022 at 4:52 PM.