Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Dovetail guru influence question

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Dupont View Post
    My method I learned myself.

It generally involves carefully marking everything and then STILL winding up with two sets of pins or tails, or pins/tails matched up to the wrong piece, sometimes even having been carefully fitted first.

How I manage to do it every time, I still don't know. I guess I'm just that good.

Also mostly self learned on dovetails. Also had misalignments. Finally what helped was coming up with a system for marking the pieces to keep them straight.

When the pieces are cut to size before laying out the joinery they are set on the bench as they would go if the box was unfolded. Then the two ends are marked with the same letter in the area of the joint. Eventually it came to me to mark this on the inside where the pins and tails will cover them when the joint is assembled. Sometimes an arrow pointing to the top of the box is drawn:

Omega Marked.jpg

Then each joint is marked with their own letters. Then when it is time to glue, the pieces are lain out again. Makes for much less confusion when putting things together.

This system helped when putting this box together:

Sofa Organizer.jpg

It even made the lightbulb go off about aligning the grain around the corners.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 09-24-2022 at 11:51 AM. Reason: added second image & comments
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)