Thread: 100mm scoring blade for 4mm-kerf main blade?

100mm scoring blade for 4mm-kerf main blade?

Hi-

I have a fairly new-to-me Minimax sc4e sliding table saw. I recently bought a Royce 12" combination blade for the saw, without really paying attention to the fact that it has a 4mm kerf. The problem now is the scoring blade on the saw (also Royce) is a 100mm split unit that only goes up to 3.6mm width. This seems to be standard for scoring blades of this size...the width range is 2.8 to 3.6mm.

Does anyone know of a source for am adjustable scoring blade that will handle a 4mm kerf? 100mm diameter x 20mm bore.

For now I've adjusted it so at least the panel on the sled is properly scored, but it would be nice to have a clean cut on both sides again...

Thanks,

Chris.

Find some extra shims?

For what it is, tin snips and a dremel tool would be good enough.

4mm blade? Wow.

That could work...the thing is the scoring unit has pins in one side that engage in holes in the other, I guess to keep the two blades at the correct orientation relative to one another. Would have to be sure the pins still reach if I add another ~0.5mm of spacers.

As for the 4mm kerf...I guess it makes sense that a blade that's 20% larger diameter is also 25% thicker? Seems like a standard proportion for industrial blades. All the same I wish I'd paid a little more attention before buying the thing!

https://www.felder-group.com/en-us/s...g-unit-sp91931

2 different hole patterns, maybe one fits yours.

I don’t own a combination blade, so I am curious if the cut quality is good enough to warrant using it with scoring?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quenneville View Post
    I don’t own a combination blade, so I am curious if the cut quality is good enough to warrant using it with scoring?
    It is for me. My 12" main blade is a 48T Forest WW-II (.125" kerf) and my scoring blade is also a .125" kerf. (non-adjustable). The scoring action helps "a whole bunch" in keeping the bottom of a cut on delicate material clean.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It is for me. My 12" main blade is a 48T Forest WW-II (.125" kerf) and my scoring blade is also a .125" kerf. (non-adjustable). The scoring action helps "a whole bunch" in keeping the bottom of a cut on delicate material clean.
    Same blade, but with a split scoring blade. Same excellent results. BTW, it'd be a simple thing to shim the felder scoring blade that I use to 4mm, but there would be probably be a .5mm or so space between the two. Not that it would affect the functionality. Why you would want a 4mm kerf is another matter completely.

Steve, when I was considering 12" blades a number of years ago, I noticed a lot of variability in kerf width and some were indeed a bit "stout". I decided to stay with what I was happy with and lucked out that the scoring blade I got with my saw was a matching identical .125" kerf width.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...