Thread: What a nice deal from the RSPCA

What a nice deal from the RSPCA

Saw an add on British tv for the RSPCA. They will send you paperwork and then schedule a video conference for you to make your will for free,. They will even come to your house. A solicitor will read it over and then send you a copy to be signed.
    Of course they hope you will remember to donate to them in your will. wonder if there may be a misplaced comma or two? What could possibly go wrong.
    I do see a lot of ads for dog and cat charities that ask for donations in your will. I have never seen that in the states. I noticed the ad for seeing eye dogs did not have the video descriptive audio?
    Bill D

There was a racket in Florida 50 yrs ago in which Banks would have their attorney write your will and conduct signing for free. The attorney would slip the Bank in as executor. The Banks then raped the estates with fees and commissions. I was a student in law school back then and went along with my grandparents to their central Florida Shuffle board club dinner. A retired attorney there did codicils (amendments to wills) naming the person's family members as executor. It took a couple more years for the Banks to wise up. About 20 years ago, there was a firm outside of DC, that did wills for free, on the condition, that the person left $500 to a local charity of the firm's choosing. Those wills however, were written as contracts so the bequest would be enforceable in court.

We had a local law firm write our trust. It names a few relatives as executors and the law firm last in line. I guess if none of our heirs has the gumption to manage the job they may get a bad result. Won't matter to me.

It is not uncommon for charities here in the USA to ask you to leave them assets in your will or trust. Some even have options where you donate stock to them while living and the charity gives you any dividends and appreciation while you are alive, but the stock goes to them at your death. One advantage for the donor is some sort of tax savings.