Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wavy Cut With Jobsite Saw...Help?

Wavy Cut With Jobsite Saw...Help?

So my new SS JSS has slight wavy looking cut. When I hold a straight edge on the cut, I can see there's light coming thru parts of the cut, however it's too little to get a feeler gage under. It happens with both thin and regular kerf blades. What's the cause? Is this very common?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    So my new SS JSS has slight wavy looking cut. When I hold a straight edge on the cut, I can see there's light coming thru parts of the cut, however it's too little to get a feeler gage under. It happens with both thin and regular kerf blades. What's the cause? Is this very common?
    Man, I feel for ya Derek. Since selling the PM2000 and getting the SS JS Pro it looks like you’ve had quite a few issues. I don’t know the answer on this but do hope you get it all figured out and working for you. Nothing worse than a new tool that doesn’t meet expectation or provide adequate results. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    This sounds normal for a job site saw to me. This is the 2nd post about these saws in 2 weeks. I need to see and use one to be properly informed.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I started out a several years ago with a Bosch jobsite saw thinking it was all I needed. Probably would have been if I was on a construction site doing framing or such. My Bosch made the same kind of cuts you are describing. I never was able to produce a flat straight cut when trying to do really nice work. It looked to me like the motor mountings would flex, just a tiny amount. Talking to Bosch about it I was more or less told you did not buy a cabinet saw what did you expect?

I found a buyer for it without losing too much money from original price and bought the very saw you just got rid of, a PM2000. Could not be happier with the quality of the cuts now.

Blog Entries
    Motorized (direct drive) saws will always have limitations.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I’ve found the fence to be the weak link on job site saws. I had Bosch gravity rise for a couple years I sold it easily when I didn’t need it anymore.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Man, I feel for ya Derek. Since selling the PM2000 and getting the SS JS Pro it looks like you’ve had quite a few issues. I don’t know the answer on this but do hope you get it all figured out and working for you. Nothing worse than a new tool that doesn’t meet expectation or provide adequate results. Good luck!
    Greg, actually, my feeling is that both types of saws have their advantages and disadvantages. Now that I'm downsizing, I'm really happy with the convenience of this saw, as I don't have to clear away a bunch of stuff just to use it and it's working out to be a pretty good little saw and is exceeding my expectations in many ways. The waviness is only detectable with that straightedge against lite and I doubt it will have any real effect on glue-ups. If it's a known with this type of saw, then I want to try to minimize it, if possible.

Blog Entries
    It sounds like play in the tilt mechanism. Be sure to use the locking lever for the tilt if there is one. Also since it is a new saw check to insure everything under the table was properly tightened at the factory. With the power disconnected see how much movement there is in the arbor. Then have a conversation with the manufacturer and/or distributor.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

To get a straightline off a table saw, I think it's going to take one a bit stouter than a jobsite saw.

First suspect is a blade, but sounds like you've checked that. Second is something flexing. Could be the motor, trunnion, the top, fence, whatever. Try being extremely consistent with feed pressures and see if that changes anything. You may see a pattern. One of the bad contractor saws I've had around actually had quite a bit of play in the thrust bearings in the motor that caused something like you describe. The more marginal the capacity of the tool for the task, the more important proper form becomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    I can get similar results on a cabinet saw by combining a tough cutting material, a dull blade, horsing the feed, and stopping to reposition my hands. With cherry, the blade will flex sideways and burn the cut edge black. If I slow and/or stop feeding to reposition hands, the blade centers back up and magically the burning stops too.

Sounds like you've eliminated the dull blade as a source, so what is the pitch of the wave - measured peak-to-peak? Do you only get the wave on long stock (>30" or so)? Do you see it on short stock? Do you feed all stock - long or short - in one continuous, steady-pressure motion? Or, do you stop to reposition hands? If the latter, does the pitch length match up to your push stroke? Does wave get worse if you push harder/feed faster?

As per other's comments, likely something is flexing, but a slow, steady feed can perhaps compensate? ...the compromises of a smaller saw.

Are you using a rip blade or a combo blade? I found that a thin kerf 24T blade helped improve the cut quality on my Dewalt jobsite saw. Less resistance when pushing the work piece through the blade means less flex in the arbor mount/blade tilt mechanism, frame, etc.

Part of the benefit of a large cabinet saw isn't just the mass, but the rigidity of the trunnion design and where/how its mounted.

Hope that helps.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry;[URL="tel:3213454"
    3213454[/URL]]This sounds normal for a job site saw to me.
    Agreed. A job site saw is just what it is. Expecting it to approach even decent contractor saw performance is just unfair. If a job site saw worked like a cabinet saw we would all buy job site saws and spend the extra money on lots more wood :-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    Are you using a rip blade or a combo blade? I found that a thin kerf 24T blade helped improve the cut quality on my Dewalt jobsite saw. Less resistance when pushing the work piece through the blade means less flex in the arbor mount/blade tilt mechanism, frame, etc.

Part of the benefit of a large cabinet saw isn't just the mass, but the rigidity of the trunnion design and where/how its mounted.

Hope that helps.
    I have one weird rip only blade, it'll behave perfectly fine in some circumstances, but another pass on the same board it can deflect like crazy. Full kerf, Felder brand, expensive blade, sent it back for sharpening to try to get the demons evicted, no luck. Just saying because even fool proof sharp blades can have some underlying issue they just can't get past.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I have one weird rip only blade, it'll behave perfectly fine in some circumstances, but another pass on the same board it can deflect like crazy. Full kerf, Felder brand, expensive blade, sent it back for sharpening to try to get the demons evicted, no luck. Just saying because even fool proof sharp blades can have some underlying issue they just can't get past.
    It's a good point Steve. When troubleshooting, you need to use known-good components where possible.