Thread: Compressor update plus a big thank you to everyone here

Compressor update plus a big thank you to everyone here

A big thank you to everyone here.

Went to Canada's answer to Harbour Freight and just installed this 1/4" valve https://www.princessauto.com/en/1-4-...t/PA0008477606. Way easier to install than the three male threaded connectors, the two 90-degree elbows and the ball-valve I'd originally bought.

Now draining that tank is WAY easier than the little OEM unit.

​​​​​​​And, wow, was that A LOT of rusty, evil-looking water that came spewing out...
    Howard Rosenberg

Very good, Howard! Making draining easy means it will actually get done a lot more often.

On the same topic, I scored a new Auto-drain today at Home Depot. My old one failed after a couple of decades and I planned on replacing it once the new shop is up. (I'm doing it manually at present) In case you or anyone else reading this wants one, I caught the deal on a clearance end-cap for a Husky branded auto drain that looks nearly identical to the IR I had previously. The yellow tag had it marked down to $67 from $97, but when the cashier rang it up, it magically dropped to $49. This could just be a local store "clean out", but it's worth checking at your local store if one of these has been on your hit list.

IMG_2313.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Very good, Howard! Making draining easy means it will actually get done a lot more often.

On the same topic, I scored a new Auto-drain today at Home Depot. My old one failed after a couple of decades and I planned on replacing it once the new shop is up. (I'm doing it manually at present) In case you or anyone else reading this wants one, I caught the deal on a clearance end-cap for a Husky branded auto drain that looks nearly identical to the IR I had previously. The yellow tag had it marked down to $67 from $97, but when the cashier rang it up, it magically dropped to $49. This could just be a local store "clean out", but it's worth checking at your local store if one of these has been on your hit list.

IMG_2313.jpg
    Got the HD SKU number?

Thanks Jim. I appreciate your help from the first two rounds. That Husky device looks good. Keep us poted!
    Howard Rosenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Got the HD SKU number?
    From the receipt:

846212073506 TANK DRAIN <A> AUTOMATIC ELECTRONIC TANK DRAIN $48.00
    --

Wow, I was looking for a replacement drain petcock just this week, was perusing HD’s website and noticed the Husky device. FYI, it was and still is listed as $99..

Yea, may be a local store overstock thing, but certainly worthy of checking out. Maybe ask for a "price check" on the item, saying that others had found it on deep discount at another store. No harm in asking. I know my local store in Warrington PA has two more on the closeout shelf.
    --

Blog Entries
    I got a mechanical auto drain from harbor freight close to 20 years ago. I don’t think I paid over $10. It has an air line that hooks up to your unloader line. It drains the tank just a little every time the compressor starts or stops. I’ve never seen one of these anywhere else and I don’t think HF sells them anymore.

update: my mistake. HF still has them.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/automa...kit-68244.html
    still $10
    Last edited by Roger Feeley; 09-16-2022 at 10:02 AM.

Interesting, Roger. That method has a certain attraction because it's leveraging actual use which in turn, affects the level of moisture. The electronic auto-drains pretty much work on a timer and are on essentially full time. (There also needs to be 120v available near the compressor to use them)
    --

The electronic auto-drains pretty much work on a timer and are on essentially full time. (There also needs to be 120v available near the compressor to use them)
    I have my auto drain plugged into a 120 volt outlet that is only on when the motor is running. It puffs a small amount on motor startup and then vents every 10 minutes or so, adjustable.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-16-2022 at 4:49 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

That's certainly a way to do it, Bill...easiest for folks with 120v compressors. It's a bit more involved for folks like me with 240v compressors and I'm less inclined to try to automate it to be in coordination with the compressor.
    --