Thread: Ezcad2 "test only" mode

Ezcad2 "test only" mode

Quick question for my fiber laser people. XTLaser worked fine for two years. Now when opened it indicates "no dongle found, test mode only".
    Can't figure this one out as it doesn't even recognize the laser. Losing money every day. Can I do a clean install on a new computer?
    Thanks so much in advance for any help.
    Jamieson LG-640 - 60 watt
    Hurricane Floyd - 60 watt
    MK Diamond 370EXP
    Corel X5
    Graphtec CE5000-60

Quote Originally Posted by Don Young View Post
    Quick question for my fiber laser people. XTLaser worked fine for two years. Now when opened it indicates "no dongle found, test mode only".
    Can't figure this one out as it doesn't even recognize the laser. Losing money every day. Can I do a clean install on a new computer?
    Thanks so much in advance for any help.
    Did you have a Windows 10 update lately?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    I would unistall and try reinstall. And update might do it.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I just started up my new Fiber Laser today and it and the old one I sold never had a dongle. Both needed to be connected via USB to the machine so it could See the EZCad board. Are you sure your USB connection and cable are good?

the 'Dog' aka dongle depends on how old it is and/or who built it-- My first fiber I got from Triumph, and it came with a USB plug-in dongle, the EzCad version was 2.5.3, in the software was a "driver" folder containing the 'dog driver'. A couple of years ago wanted to upgrade EzCad, which meant buying a new controller card; Triumph had their 2.14.10 version of EzCad online for free but wouldn't work with their old card. My 3 newer fibers all just simply run from the USB stick provided--which I copied to my hard drives, several times actually so I have a different version with settings tweaked for all my different lenses. Anyway, there's no 'driver' files on any of the USB sticks, the driver loads whenever the software starts, PROVIDED the laser is turned ON and connected to the computer with a good USB cable...

SO, either your USB cable is bad (and I can attest, they DO go bad), or the USB port on either the laser or computer is bad, OR the controller card is bad, or has an iffy cable connection. Inside the laser, you'll find the USB port on the back of the machine is connected to the controller by a simple, short USB cable, which could be bad. Or the controller card's USB connection could be bad.... you get the idea!

First thing I'd try is to open the laser's case, see what type of USB plug the controller card uses
    -probably the big-ish 1/4"-ish square type like this-
    USB.jpg
    --or it may use the flat style... anyway, whatever fits it, get a NEW USB cable to match, connect it to your computer from a DIFFERENT USB port on the computer than you've been using, and connect the other end directly to the controller card, bypassing the intermediate plug connector...

If that fixes the problem, then you know it's just a connection issue and not a controller card issue...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I hope Don is still alive? Otherwise I'd guess he got it fixed??

Yes and I did uninstall the August 29th update from Windows 10 Pro.
    Last edited by Bill George; 09-19-2022 at 9:46 AM.

I still avoid Win10 like the plague, and I'm going nowhere near 11 either yet. All of my GOOD computers are running 7 enterprise. I have win10 on an HP laptop that was originally fitted with 8, wiped, and had 10 installed. It was a 'gift' from a customer. I still use it occasionally just to try and get used to using win10, but I have NEVER in my LIFE been as frustrated with a computer as I am this thing. Several minutes to boot up, and when it finally does it acts like it's running an old 386 processor. All of my still-running XP's and even my Win98se will run circles around it. I did successfully run EzCad with it for awhile, it's about the ONLY reason I keep it around, in case one of my other laptops dies, it'll run EzCad until I can find another used 7
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

No big issues with Windows 10 and I use the Pro edition, BUT when I get it running good its NO longer allowed on the Internet and if it is, Updates Disabled. My current shop setup is a new Install of Win 10 Pro and I let it update just because. Now with the August 29 th update removed and Now no more Updates it will be fine.