Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kapex / Sawstop Sliding Crosscut Table - Questions

EDIT: For anyone following this thread and thinking about the kapex adapters on the Kapex REB, especially the flat profiled wings. They don't fit and I'm waiting on a call back from FastCap after discovering this. I was able to make the actual bracket fit into the aluminum extrusion as FastCap suggested possible during my call last week, but the wing appears to sit proud of the saw deck by a good 1/16 to 1/8". Only eyeball measured so far, but I can find no way to make a height adjustment with these brackets. Will see what they say and update the thread accordingly as I had sure hoped to make this work.

UPDATE to the EDIT: Just spoke to the folks at FastCap again. They've asked for a week or two and have offered to build me a set of adapters. Basically, they are going to attempt to CNC the existing adapters down so that they will work on the Kapex 120 REB with the flat style wings that they sell. My shop layout was pretty dependent on not having a permanent bracket mounted to the bench top so that saw could easily be removed whenever a larger workspace is needed. They offered that if they were not able to make a set that works, they would take the full set back so that I could pursue the Kapex UG Extensions if I desired. I'm pretty impressed with their responsiveness and service so far and am hopeful that they are able to make this work. Will keep the post updated and will provide pictures once I have a working prototype. Regards.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 09-19-2022 at 4:04 PM.

UPDATE:

The folks at FastCap were not able to provide the brackets like we hoped. They could machine them down to fit the actual extension wings but the black plastic between the saw and wing was too low. No way to add material there without a new mold and they are not ready to take that step yet. They offered to make the brackets anyway with my knowing there would be a gap that wasn't level, or to take the whole setup back for refund. I chose to send it all back unfortunately as the shipping was on my dime. But at the end of the day I knew I would not be happy with a less than stellar fit and I didn't want to have to craft spacers of my own. I really appreciated FastCap's desire to fix the issue and help make me happy. I can only give them praise for quality service and their flexibility to return the item. It is in route to them now.

As a plan B, I opted for the Festool extension wings. They are not quite as wide or long as the FastCap Best Fence, but honestly I'm finding them more than adequate for my small shop. The pull out extension works just fine for longer boards. I like the fact that they have metal stop tabs too as it feels a little more solid than the FastCap version. However, these have the rear lip on them that the FastCap model would not have had which was a nice feature for bowed wood breakdown. I had planned to use the MFT/3 Mini stand with the Kapex and the extensions but honestly just didn't find it stable enough to my liking. No mater how you positioned the legs or how tight you make them, it feels like a pot luck dinner folding card table. I know they sell stabilizers but for what the MFT costs, it shouldn't require another $100 for some cross bracing. Anyway, I'm using a cabinet from the shop for my base with the Festool wings and it works out just the way I envisioned it.

One more point that I wasn't aware of before getting the extensions in my hands. They can be bench top mounted with the bracket that holds the legs. I wasn't aware of this but it is perfect height for the saw and has screw holes in it for securing to a bench top. Very nice feature.

4512045B-C6DB-47DA-8A2E-AC451B247A81.jpg

09886FC2-F49B-4059-9D1E-33B25A8F9B4C.jpg

72D58011-1C9E-4159-A004-6B89F463B61A.jpg
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 09-28-2022 at 10:56 PM.