Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kapex / Sawstop Sliding Crosscut Table - Questions

Question Kapex / Sawstop Sliding Crosscut Table - Questions

I had every intention yesterday of picking up a Kapex to replace my Dewalt non-sliding miter saw to improve dust collection but when I went to look at the Kapex the sliding crosscut table attachment for my Sawstop PCS caught my eye instead. Having previously owned a KF500 slider saw, the approach seems like a nice compromise even though I realize it will be far from the blade once installed. Having the 36” version of the PCS fence, the idea of more easily handling a 48” cut via the left side of the blade seemed to make sense while thinking it over in the store. Also I theorized the dust collection on the table saw would be better.

Anyway, after doing a good bit of reading I’m wondering now if I haven’t made a mistake. I realize they are two different tool categories but they do share some overlap for everyday general repetitive cuts. I’ve never owned a Kapex and don’t know if it would have made that much improvement in areas other than dust collection but am sort of looking for some feedback as I can only justify one or the other at this point in time.

Anyone using the newest version of the sawstop crosscut table that likes it, doesn’t like it, has feedback? Anyone wish they hadn’t bought it and just uses their Kapex or miter saw for those cuts instead? I know this is somewhat subjective based on each persons preferred workflow and style but Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 09-14-2022 at 7:04 AM.

With a "true slider", I rarely use a miter saw and then only for breaking down material. For the last year when I had a PCS in my temporary shop, my miter saw got used a lot in comparison. The SS sliding table is, IMHO best for panels but it can certainly be used like a miter gauge. What you don't really get with that is the easy ability to do compound miters if you need that. If you don't do that a lot, then just keep the DeWalt to handle that task. I'd also use a sled for short cuts on the TS for both safety and precision.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    With a "true slider", I rarely use a miter saw and then only for breaking down material. For the last year when I had a PCS in my temporary shop, my miter saw got used a lot in comparison. The SS sliding table is, IMHO best for panels but it can certainly be used like a miter gauge. What you don't really get with that is the easy ability to do compound miters if you need that. If you don't do that a lot, then just keep the DeWalt to handle that task. I'd also use a sled for short cuts on the TS for both safety and precision.

So in your opinion, the sliding Kapex will be more useful in day to day material breakdown and angle or compound angle cutting. The sliding table is best with larger panels like when I had to trip 1/2" off of a 48" bench top this past weekend, and that something like an incra 5000 sled or homemade version will be better for trimming/mitering small pieces? End result is that all may prove useful but I'm wanting to do a lot of smaller things like boxes, cutting boards, etc. I also tend to build country farmhouse style stick-built/frame-built furniture. Those things would probably lend themselves more to the sled and miter saw approach I guess than the sliding sawstop table in my case.

I can see that. I may stop by and swap the table back out for the Kapex but wanted to get some opposing viewpoints before I do since I'm 4 hours drive from the store and have to pass it again later today. The Kapex would certainly help to simplify my dust collection issues for the miter in my new shop since I only have the Mini Gorilla and Festool vac for collection.

I've got a Dewalt 12" non-slider, the 716, and in about 30 minutes got the dust collection just as good as a Kapex, which I sold. Just used a small sheet of foam to extend the existing shoot closer to the blade
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Jung View Post
    I've got a Dewalt 12" non-slider, the 716, and in about 30 minutes got the dust collection just as good as a Kapex, which I sold. Just used a small sheet of foam to extend the existing shoot closer to the blade
    The 716 is the one I have. I’ve replaced and rebuilt numerous larger chutes and can’t get mine to collect worth a flip using a vacuum. Big chunks, yes, but finer dust ends up in air and on every surface in my mixed use garage. Have any pictures?

I've got the Sawstop sliding crosscut table and I love it. I use it for large, normal and small stock. Put a sacrificial fence on it and you can do any compound miter cut you want. For me it was one of the best things I added to the saw.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Cliff, any issues with accuracy, deflection of the fence or other concerns? Also did you mount to your left wing or did you remove the wing? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    I've got the Sawstop sliding crosscut table and I love it. I use it for large, normal and small stock. Put a sacrificial fence on it and you can do any compound miter cut you want. For me it was one of the best things I added to the saw.

Cliff

I have a Kapex and perhaps the dust collection is better than my previous miter saw, there's still a lot that doesn't get collected. I wouldn't purchase a Kapex just for the dust collection.

It is a good, accurate saw, however, and I use it a lot.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have about 4 or 5 hours to make my decision but I’m starting to think you may benefit from all three. LOL. Sliding table, kapex and sled.

of course the choice for kapex would be to add accuracy and cross cutting benefit due to the slide feature but dust collection was a big part of it too.

I think I will go back by the store and play with the sliding table a little more. But after reading the comments and thinking about it further, I’m sort of leaning towards the thought there a kapex an incra 5000 sled may be a better fit for my small shop

EDIT/UPDATE: I exchanged the sliding cross cut table for the Kapex. I like the sliding table but decided in the end that I didn’t want to remove the left wing and that I wanted to also leave that spot open for a possible router table wing. Unfortunately that means I’ll have to keep fighting with larger panels or turning to a track saw but I don’t do that many cuts over 36”. The combination of Kapex and a sled seems to make sense in my head for the moment anyway. LOL.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 09-14-2022 at 6:07 PM.

You can cut big stuff with a tracksaw to avoid fighting with large materials on a table saw. Honestly, I chose a short-stroke slider this time around because I know I can't reliably lift and control full sheets on a table saw, anyway. (Not that I use much sheet stock and when I do, I often cut it on the CNC)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with Jim. A track saw is the way to break down sheet goods. I have a Festool track saw and it is accurate. I used to cut bigger than I needed and finish on the table saw. I don't need to do that with my track saw.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    A kapex is a nice job site tool and it’s definitely better than similar job site saws but it’s not a precision machine. I wanted to use the Kapex as a precision miter saw but found it to be incapable of holding precisely square enough that it could be used with an accurate stop system. One would be elated to have such cuts on the job site but I found them lacking for my purposes. I use an Omga and have for a few years now.

Festool stuff is fantastic job site stuff but not a replacement for true stationary machinery, when I use their stuff on job sites or during installs I’m glad I have it.

I have a few track saws that are nice to have for various job site tasks and for rough cutting long, awkward parts. One is the smallest Mafell crosscut saw KSS 300 and the other is K85 which I also bought the crosscut track for. These handle small tasks and large tasks respectively.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

No going back now. Just got home with it. LOL

I realize it won’t be as precise as other methods, but for most of the items I build and use a miter saw for it will be just fine. I’m primarily doing material breakdown before heading to the table saw, planer or jointer. The reason I would be interested in adding the wings is for material support and for the times I need to produce multiple pieces of similar length. That said, most of the items I would be cutting on it are not as accuracy critical at this stage in the process. In other words, I can move to the table saw once I have pieces down to size and that’s where I felt the miter sled made more sense in my case and allows me to still add the router table wing if I want. The bigger reasons I grabbed the kapex are for the incremental increase in dust collection when using just a vacuum and for the wider board capacity that the slide will provide. Many times on my 12” dewalt I have to flip a board over to cut all the way across which is a pain.

[Anyway, I have to call Fastcap once they open as i had ordered a best fence setup for the dewalt. It has been sitting in pending for a few weeks but according to their site it looks like their kapex version of the mounts indicates it only works on the non-REB model. Don’t know why but will call them to find out. if it can’t mount, I will probably ask to cancel since it hasn’t shipped and revert back to the Festool wings so that I’m not bound to having to use a bench top for mounting the wings.]

UPDATE/EDIT: Well, how you like that. Not a word from FastCap regarding shipping notice over last 10 days and my order still shows Pending. They would be just now opening on the West Coast I think but I literally just got a UPS notice for delivery today from FastCap. So, since shipping to me was free and they will be here sometime today, I guess my next move will be to inquire about their Kapex brackets and use the Best Fence wings instead. How's that for timing though, go figure. LOL
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 09-15-2022 at 10:23 AM.

I despise my incra 5000. I find i am constantly tripping over it and havent found a decent storage solution. I would stick with a 1000 for small stuff or a homemade cc sled. The Kapex is great for what it is albeit overpriced. I own and use it pretty regularly. But would have been fine with a Bosch for half the price. But I get better cuts on the TS. I use the miter saw and follow it up with a shooting board if I need to be accurate.