Thread: Cedar table top sap issue

Cedar table top sap issue

I finished a Deodar cedar table top with lacquer about two months back and today I saw some areas where the finish looks orange peel-like.
    It seems to me that sap in these areas has interfered with the lacquer, softening it.

It peeled away very easily with a blunt knife blade.

IMG_5405.jpg

I didn't get a photo of this largest affected area, but there are several like this next photo shows -

IMG_5407.jpg - it's quite a small area here, but it'll give you the idea.

Anyone have this issue with cedar before?
    This slab has been well kiln dried. The space it's in here in LA maxes out at 90 over July, August and the recent heatwave. It won't be so hot where it lives, of course.

I'm thinking of stripping the top and finishing with Rubio Monocoat. If nothing else, it might be easier to repair if this happens again. Anyone have an opinion on that?

thanks, Mark

I’ve worked with true cedar before.
    I dug out the pitch pockets with naphtha and a tooth pick as I discovered them.
    Smells great don’t give up
    Aj

The general rule is if the finish will not stick is to remove it and apply shellac to seal off whatever is causing the problems. Shellac will stick to anything and anything will stick to shellac.
    Bill D

Yes shellac is great for weird situations. I think I may have used it on this table originally but I can't recall for sure.
    Will Rubio Monocoat adhere to shellac? - I am skeptical but I can't find anything online about this at all.

Andrew, it's a thick table top and I guess there's enough sap way in there that wants to come out when the wood heats up. But I won't give up!

Mark I don’t think it’s a good idea to put Rubio on anything other then raw wood. It needs to soak into the fibers and harden. If you have already put shellac lots of the cells are probably closed out.
    I do remember using a dental pick for cleaning out the deeper pockets. That stuff I had didn’t have resin weeping from everywhere only the pockets.
    I used most of what I had for drawer bottoms. But saved a bit for my tool cabinet Every time I open it the smell is wonderful.
    Heres my show off pics.
    Good Luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Turpentine is the best for cleaning up sap.
    WoodsShop

Beautiful tool cabinet there Andrew!