Thread: Need advice negotiating SCMs customer service

Need advice negotiating SCMs customer service

Have an ongoing situation with SCM, overcharging me $300 for shipping, and not getting back with me. Looking for help with how to proceed.

Current situation:

SCM charged my card $337 for freight on a couple parts for my wide belt sander. The parts could easily have been sent FedEx or UPS Ground in a box about the size of a large pillow, but instead they were sent flopping around in a box stapled to a large pallet. Originally I was told by SCM parts that yes, indeed, this was a mistake and I wouldn't have to pay freight. But I've contacted SCM many, many times, with no help, and have started a dispute with my credit card for the amount.

Back situation:

Last year September I ordered the 2 parts, agreed to the price of the items, and asked them to update me when the parts are in the US and what the bill will be. Weeks later, without any notification, a large pallet arrives and I get an invoice for the parts and $337 freight. I take pictures and immediately call SCM parts to be told that yes, logistics should not have used freight, so I will get an updated invoice less the freight amount.

A month or two goes by and I haven't received any invoice, after calling them trying to get it sorted. In the meantime, I need a couple more small parts, order them, they arrive with standard ground shipping, I call in to pay my bill. I do not give them permission to keep my card on file, but to process the one-time payment. They still aren't able to give me an invoice for the prior order. So off I go, happy with my new parts, having the second order paid for, but still no updated invoice for the first.

8 months go by, until a couple weeks ago, and wham, my credit card is billed for the first order, for the full amount, including $337 freight. What ensues is a spiderweb of SCMs departments pointing fingers at each other, not answering phones, not answering emails, putting me on hold, telling me the "manager is away on vacation", etc. The first call to billing I actually talked to somonee, Andrea, who, when I asked why I'm getting billed 10 months late, her flat response was simply "covid". (Yet they had no problem billing me and keeping my card on file for other orders). In logistics I called Adam 4x, Kim 4x, Beth 3x, leaving polite and patient messages each time. In billing I talked to Andrea 2x, and each time she pointed me to logistics. When logistics wouldn't answer, I called Andrea again 2x, had to leave messages, and also wrote 2 emails. I've left half dozen voice messages on the general SCM answering machine, spoken with 2 different front-desk people multiple times, asked several times to talk to a manager, and spoken to a couple different parts department employees, yet no one is doing anything. In total I have emailed maybe 20 times, called 35 times, left 15 messages, all with about 10 different staff.

Any time I do talk to someone they say someone else has to handle it, or that they will escalate my request, or that so and so is out, etc. The only 2 times I have gotten a call back from SCM over the last 8 or 9 months were at 5am. According to any employee these are automated call-backs by their system. According to another employee they "always send these parts freight so they don't get damaged."

To make it all worse, employees don't give out their extensions or email addresses. You only can get an email address if they email you first.

Last week on Monday I wrote everyone I had an email address for, which was 3 different people, that I would be refuting the charge with my card company if I hear no resoution by end of Wednesday. Come Thursday morning nothing came in, so I filed a dispute with my card company. And that's where we're at. I continue to call and email them but am getting nothing.

How can a company make such good machines yet offer such support as this? At some point I'll be in the market for a new slider, a new wide belt, and a new planer, and hopefully one day a CNC. Would I be crazy to want to avoid SCM from a year of such experiences? Am I alone in this? Are other european companies such as Felder, Barth, Martin, just as bad?

Any help with next steps would be appreciated. It sucks that they may end up getting their way, keeping my money, losing a customer, and I can't do a damn thing about it. All over $300, 10-month late invoicing, and keeping my card on file without me knowing. The money isn't as big a deal as me just wanting to have options of purchasing good machines from a supportive company.

2021-10-30_14-50-36.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JonathanJungDesign.com

I hate to say this, but based on my recent experience with SCM customer service, you are probably out of luck. It isn't that they are malevolent or greedy, it's that they really don't care about small orders and seem to lack the tools and training to be responsive to customers.

In my case, it was an SC3C sliding saw so damaged in shipping (after being 3 months late) that I refused to accept it and had it returned to the Atlanta SCM facility. They allegedly fixed it, and when it finally arrived at my home, it was a collection of damaged or missing parts. The people in Atlanta were absolutely useless in resolving this. They did nothing to fix it when it was in their shop. Fortunately, I had ordered the machine through my local distributor, J&G Equipment, who sent a very good service person to my location. He inventoried all the damaged parts, negotiated their replacements from SCM, and even offered to do the installation (which I declined.) Admittedly, I was a nuisance customer since it was my belief that a new machine should be NEW, not DAMAGED. When I got J&G on-board to fix the issues, I had been through the usual litany of SCM related BS: no call backs, unclear un-responsive email responses, and on-going delays. The saw is finally complete as ordered, but it was a struggle for me and the good folks at J&G Equipment. Takeaway message - use their distributor network instead of ordering directly.

Here's my perception of the company: They are ill-equipped to handle one-off sales of small shop machines. The retail world is much different than the industrial sales world. Those of us at the small end of the customer spectrum are not SCM's target market.

Final comment, after buying an SC3C and an FS-41 on the same order, spending a chunk of money on a hobby, the saw doesn't even the right model number on it: they forgot the "3" on the big model number on the front. How does that come out of a factory? It's like Ford labelling a pick-up truck as an "F-15_"

I'll wager that there is no such thing as a fully staffed company right now. It's horrible what is happening to the companies that are trying to survive in this climate. They probably expect you to dispute the charge, the CC company will reverse it, and they end up in the same place without having to spend extremely little available employee time to do the exact same thing.

I am in a different country and SCM probably run differently here so I cant comment on the situation...

But being in North America, you'd have a lot of options to purchase from I believe? Kundig for WBS, Altendorf for slider....etc.

Contact your credit card first and find out your options. My wife stayed at a Hilton and was double charged for the room. Once on a secondary discount rate company and once with the card number left for incidentals. The credit card company would do nothing since she voluntarily gave them the card. Once she found the right phone number to call, it took a minute to clear it up. I suggest you go around customer service at SCM and talk to accounts receivable. People get so upset with companies these days. Have a bit of a snafu and threats of never buying from them go flying about on the internet. Why? We can't help clear it up for you. The threats do no one any good, including you. If you never want to buy from them again, just do it. It means nothing to me. Your issue with shipping does not reflect on the machinery at all, it's just your anger. I have SCM machinery and would not hesitate to buy another if I wasn't 70 years old.

by the way I wouldn't avoid SCM from this experience... my workshop is almost full of SCM, some older some brand new, they are easy to service, parts are available even for a 40 years old machine.

Dealing with SCM in Atlanta? Good luck.

I'd just see what your credit card company can do for you. In my experience, you're wasting your time with with SCM

Well this is a bit disheartening. I really like their machines, like you say Albert. I was hoping there may be someone on the inside that is known to be responsive. Maybe a rep? That's their job. I actually did talk to a rep a while back. Gosh, he was responsive. But that's when I was inquiring about buying a $30k machine...

At the least, I want them to delete my card info.

If they are short-staffed, it's not hard to simply answer the phone with "we are short-staffed and unable to help you."

Is there a SCM dealer that also does parts?
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Good news! Just heard from Linda in parts, via email, that I'll be refunded $237, which leaves $100 for freight. Still high, but anything is better than nothing. Grateful to have this sorted.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

I generally ask Sam Blasco for insight, help and suggestions for anything regarding SCM/Minimax.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I can only saw I'd have lost patience with SMC long before you, Jonathan, did.
    Whatever the reasons for this very poor customer service on SMC's part, it's evident you did more than enough to try to get this resolved. That's a marathon of calling and emailing!
    This is a big reason I like to use Amex as much as I can in these situations, they will support me as the customer. I haven't had to do this, but it's good to know the option is there.