Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Set of User Chisels?

Derek, I know that the human skull has those funny squiggly joints. My question is, after you “ get into someone’s head” how do you close
    the skull back up? Dovetails ? or do you “ knit” them “ just like the originals” ? And , of course, “what kind of glue do you use ?”

Mel, you know that it is proper to leave the axe in the skull to show that it was hand chopped

Regards from Perth

Derek

[QUOTE=Derek Cohen;3213894]Mel, you know that it is proper to leave the axe in the skull to show that it was hand chopped

Of course! It stimulates new growth ! And stops “iron deficiency anemia” !

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Derek, I know that the human skull has those funny squiggly joints. My question is, after you “ get into someone’s head” how do you close
    the skull back up? Dovetails ? or do you “ knit” them “ just like the originals” ? And , of course, “what kind of glue do you use ?”
    I believe Dr. Maturin preferred to tack on a silver coin flattened into a plate. But try getting your HMO to pay for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Ellenberger View Post
    I got a couple Lee Valley chisels with plastic handles so I don’t need to bring my nice chisels out for boat projects. The steel on them is really good and they hold a good edge. They are under $20 each.
    Assuming you're talking about the ones with yellow butyrate handles (made in Japan), I agree on the steel. I find these hold an edge substantially better than the comparably-priced Narex ones. I don't care for the handles (I find them a bit small for my hand), but ergonomics are very personal. (And if one don't like them, Popular Woodworking published an article on how to replace the handles: https://www.popularwoodworking.com/a...hisel-handles/).

I chose the LN chisels due to how well they fit in my hands. To me they were the most comfortable chisels. If you are doing a lot of chisel work I think its important for the chisel to be comfortable in your hand. I dont factor in the steel too much. All chisels at some point need to be sharpened.

Here is how I would go about selecting chisels.

First, how do you plan to use them? If you are cutting lots of dovetails you are going to want chisels with smaller lands (side bevels) or if you are paring you want low angle or if you are mortising you want some beefier or a dedicated mortise chisel.

Second, what do you have for sharpening equipment? If you are using a hardware store whetstone I wouldn't opt for A2 steel. If you have diamond stones or good quality water stones you can get away with better steels.

Third, what is you budget? It is true you get what you pay for but even budget chisels can be made to work. Chisels are an inherently simple tool.

I think the important thing here is to buy the tool that best suits your needs.

I’m also a bit of a chisel addict. It’s strange, because I’m not a big hand tool user, but there’s something about chisels that makes me buy them. I have maybe 40 chisels of differing makes, sizes, vintages, and continents. As basic as rubber handled Dewalt chisels from Lowe’s up to pmv11’s and various vintage Japanese chisels. The PMV11’s are really exceptional. They hold an edge well, the backs come very close to flat, the handles are nice, and the shoulders are laser sharp. The vintage Japanese chisels also hold an edge for a long time. I’ve also grown somewhat accustomed to hitting the living heck out of a Japanese chisel with a metal hammer. They are onto something there. I think my best bang for buck users were a set of timber framing chisels by CA Strelinger. Most likely turn of the century maker from Detroit. Anyway, I bought them as part of a box of 12-15 chisels on Craigslist. Sold the excess 7 to basically break even on the deal and kept the set of strelingers. And that would be my best recommendation for a beginner on a budget. Vintage chisels from previous craftsman should come reasonably flat. The fit and finish of the 100+ year chisels is quite good. For whatever reason, I’ve found vintage chisels to still be a steal. They didn’t follow the same path as vintage hand planes.

Just "picked" one the other day..
    Rehab, group.JPG
    Spent a stack of quarters for all of these...4 quarters, that is...
    Rehab, right group.JPG
    And THAT is a Vintage Buck Brothers (BEFORE Home Depot) 1/4" bevel edge chisel....that seems perfect for the dovetails I work on..

Anyone ever look at the back of my work bench?
    Tues. Work, a few good tools.JPG

And..all are users...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use