Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Set of User Chisels?

Best Set of User Chisels?

Hi everyone,

Looking for recommendations on the best set of user chisels. Willing to pay more for quality, but the plan is to use them hard for all shop joinery tasks! (So need for anything too fancy, just good steel and edge retention.)

Best,
    John

What is your budget? I still have my entry level ($15) set from the home store for places where I don't want to use my good chisels, and a mixed collection from Lie-Nielsen and Veritas for my 'good' chisels.

I really like the sweetheart set. Come with a nice roll. Some flattening needed but nothing crazy. I think I got an 8pc set for like $150. 1/8”-1 1/8”.

Tell us a bit about your sharpening setup / capability.

I know a few guys that can make a $1 flea market chisel do amazing work.

Narex or Stanley Sweetheart are awesome value vs performance IMO

I have been using a set of the Schaaf chisels recently and they have served me quite well. They suit me better than my Narex set. An alternative is the green handled Woodriver chisels from Woodcraft when you can catch them on sale. Truth is, I like the handles on the Schaaf set better and I do like the tool roll that comes with them for storage.

Wood By Wright - Chisel Test
    https://youtu.be/13CLeUz9upc

+1 on the Narex. Have standard and mortising sets - super nice fit/finish and performance to cost ratio.

Narex like Jeff mentioned are very reasonable priced. I have a few of those plus Ashley Iles (regular handle) and Woodriver (short palm type handle) and like them all.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I’m sure that some handles feel better than others depending on who is holding them, but once you have a set you get used to the feel and learn to make them work for you. I have a Narex set because the price was right and I could not justify the cost of a premium set. But I would suggest that you also get a basic set of stubby chisels, I’ve been surprised at how useful they are and I always have a 3/4 stubby in my apron, saves going to the drawer and getting a long one.

I got a set of Blue Handle Irwin Marples for cheap from a Rockler affiliate in about 2006. They were still made in the UK at this point. They required a fair bit of flattening and prep, but they hold an edge well and are comfortable to use. I use them for coarse work but they will cut just as well as my LN set. Link below. $62 for six chisels is a low risk proposition.

https://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Tools-M.../dp/B000RG2Y56
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Keep in mind that the way you sharpen can make a large difference to the advantage of high quality steel. Look up David Weaver’s “unicorn“ sharpening profile that can make even mediocre steel edges last a long time.

have some old Berg which are respected. favourite ones i bought in Austria then found the same here think Stubai or close to that. As much as the berg are respected the steel is harder and I do fine with the Stubai softer steel, hones up super fast. Have others stanley far past when I would buy stanley. All work fine dont like short stuff and prefer wooden handles. Used to keep four or five sizes in the tool belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I got a set of Blue Handle Irwin Marples for cheap from a Rockler affiliate in about 2006. They were still made in the UK at this point. They required a fair bit of flattening and prep, but they hold an edge well and are comfortable to use. I use them for coarse work but they will cut just as well as my LN set....
    Yep, same experience for me. I bought the same from the borg 15+ years ago. Thought I was being smart and bought the whole set of sizes which turned out to be a waste of money. I only use at most 4 or 5.

...so now I feel compelled to go put a decent edge on those. It's been a while since I gave them some love...
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Yep, same experience for me. I bought the same from the borg 15+ years ago. Thought I was being smart and bought the whole set of sizes which turned out to be a waste of money. I only use at most 4 or 5.

...so now I feel compelled to go put a decent edge on those. It's been a while since I gave them some love...
    I get it. But for the price I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.