Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got It Right The First Time

Got It Right The First Time

Today, while working on my Merry Rototiller (circa 1960 +/-, which makes it around sixty years old) I got to thinking about products that have stood the test of time, and become the gold standard in their class. My Merry Tiller is the same basic machine today, as it was sixty years ago. Currently retailing for around $1500, so it's not for everyone. MTD tillers can be had new for less than $500, but they are "throw away" machines, designed as not ever be fixed. Merry's transmissions were use in both Winston and Snapper tillers. Every part for my Merry can be had new from the manufacturer. The power tools from Delta : Unisaw, 14" band saw, four post planer, contractor's saw were the gold standard with many knock offs over the years. The PC 690 router is another. Kitchen Aid stand mixers belong on that list also.

Blog Entries
    I know what you mean. I just sold my Troy Bilt 7 Hp Horse rototiller for $36 less than I paid for it over 30 years ago. It would still start on the first pull and run as long as it had gas in the tank. We were no longer using it, so I sold it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

vitamix likely 40 years old., maytag washer and dryer 45 years old, buick wagons over 25 years old truck 50 years old. Lots of old good stuff made. Rockwell belt sander 45 years, senco staple guns at least that old and and and, Scm wadkin robinson brookman. The good old days nother world

Couple more oldies, but goodies. My Cuisinart DLC-8 food processor, which was made in Japan, not China. This makes it about 36 years old. The current 14 cup Cuisinart is the same FP, on steroids. John Mansville shingles on our house are 42 years old. Carrier heat pump. It was only 38 years old when we removed it from service. Spent less than 20 bucks over the years maintaining it. Currently, we have a 24 year old gas water heater. Came with a 6 year warranty.

Blog Entries
    This is why I lament the demise of American manufacturing. I have a Scotsman Merry Tiller too! (it has a Honda engine on it).
    Best Regards, Maurice

I'm a hobbyist but a 40 + year old Craftsman RAS that works better then it did when I got it (learned how to use it).
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

Anyone want ,for free, my Gravely tiller. Designed for making Victory gardens for WW1. Made with few changes up tell about 2000. They replaced the 7hp engine with 12Hp Japanese brand engines late in production
    Bill D

does it include delivery

I inherited my dads Merry Tiller in 1974 and had it for many years untill I got my rear tine Roper tiller that I got in 1988 and still going strong. My dad used the merry tiller just on the ends of the greenhouse and to cultivate the tomato rows of over 1 1/2 acres. So it saw a lot of use. 2 crops a year. I hated how it would bounce and shake when breaking new ground. My dad had an Agria rear tine tiller for the big job of tilling had a 36" cut. He got it in 58 and my sister still has it but tines are hard to find.
    Last edited by Jerome Stanek; 09-14-2022 at 7:12 AM.

Blog Entries
    I will look through the family photos for a picture of the 1978 Estate Wagon. It had the towing package with extra engine and transmission cooling, air shocks, and a 455.
    The design of the Merry Tiller lives on and is used by Maxim. Maxim tillers are often seen at rental companys. Front tine tillers sure do bounce. Mine stays in town where the soil is starting to be OK after over 30 years of gardening.

There is some good Merry Tiller content on Garden Tractor Talk form
    Merry Tiller | Garden Tractor Forums

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 6.26.05 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 6.21.56 AM.png
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 09-14-2022 at 7:51 AM. Reason: images + link
    Best Regards, Maurice

Besides the big ticket items, there are more obscure things.
    I have what I call a “Working” collection of Penn Z series spinning reels. About 16 of them. They all work as designed and are amazingly durable. Bought my first one 50 years ago and have accumulated the rest through Ebay.

Maurice towing package is a great thing on the wagons and besides what you said give a posi rear and better ratio. Capacity on the buicks goes up to 5,000 lbs and with equalizers is 7,000 lbs.

Merry tillers weren't front tine but center tine. Believe me as I owned two Sears front tine tillers before my first Merry. Night and day difference in the shaking the operator (me) takes. My Sears convinced me to buy my first Troy-Bilt. Until recently, I owned three Troy-Bilt tillers (Pony, Horse, and PTO horse.) Over the years, I have owned three operating Merry Tillers. Bought one used (in new condition) and sold it later for over a hundred more than I paid for it. Currently have a Merry and a Winston in running condition, an unknown brand over at a friend's house, plus a "parts machine." Other than one in new condition, all were junk yard rescues. To get manuals for Merrry tiller, I went to an English gardening site (Garden Web.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Maurice towing package is a great thing on the wagons and besides what you said give a posi rear and better ratio. Capacity on the buicks goes up to 5,000 lbs and with equalizers is 7,000 lbs.
    We were the 2nd owners or the Buick Wagon affectionately named "The Big Pig" by the previous owners. The darling wife had been driving a 78 Ford Fiesta (white knuckled while being passed on Old US 40). She got behind the wheel of the Big Pig and discovered the joy of passing.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    I have a PTO Horse too! and the Kohler 21 amp generator. Sadly the OEM Brigs had its connecting rod sticking out of a hole in the center case when I got it. It now has the motor from Dads (late) rear tine MTD on it. Thanks for the clarification on tine orientation.
    Best Regards, Maurice