Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple little boxes

A couple little boxes

We had a family vacation this summer and I saw some relatives I hadn’t seen since the start of the pandemic. One aunt organized the whole thing. I decided to make a couple small boxes for my two aunts that were on the trip. The first box is getting close. I’ll make second one with tops and bottoms captured in the sides, then cut the top off. That will save making frames and panels and should make it go a bit quicker.

The first one needs the hinges put on and some final sanding/clean up before finishing. I’ll most likely wipe on some BLO/varnish/mineral spirits.

6B4F6128-E867-442A-8545-F7BE21D441A3.jpg2DC166A4-67B7-4FD6-ADA8-5F4826EE7C5E.jpg6CD3D877-9A01-4E84-87A2-E81D71E7D9FF.jpg

Looking good...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Blog Entries
    Very nice, the dovetails almost disappear.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Got the lid on. Since I’m using hinges with built in stops I had to cut away a little notch on the back of the lid to give the hinges clearance. I had to do this because I left a quarter inch overhang all the way around. I guess you could leave the back edge flush, but I prefer to have it symmetrical.

I’ll make the second box, then finish both at the same time.

D0A292B2-6E4B-4387-975C-25B9F7C1C58D.jpg

Got the stock broken down flattened, thicknessed, and the ends squared for the second box. This will be based on Paul Sellers keepsake box design. It will have rounded sides. I’ll do through dovetails, but put a rabbet on the end of each side so the grooves for the top and bottom don’t show. I was able to use one piece of wood for all four sides, so I’ll keep the grain running continuously around.

i have one #5 set up for rougher work and the other set up with hardly any camber on the blade and a tight chip breaker. I probably use these two planes 80 percent of the time I’m using a plane.

FBC6848F-0099-4CF6-8C90-66C1B4536336.jpg

Sounds like a plan..
    Episode #4A, End view.JPG
    They are fun to build..
    Episode #3, one end cut.JPG
    This is where it gets a bit tricky...
    Episode #4A, front view.JPG
    Had to carve that finger lift...
    Episode 5, first coat, end view.JPG
    End view...

Have fun!

Since everyone’s talking about dovetails, here are some dovetails. These are a little tricky because the baseline of the tails is angled. The rabbet on the tail board makes lining up and transferring lines much easier. I also use blue tape on cherry to make the lines more defined. The first joint wasn’t as tight as I’d like it to be, so I cut the second set of pins just a tiny bit fat. I’ve got some other things to take care of today, so I’ll come back one evening this week to finish up the remaining corners.

7E937E9C-ED34-4047-8FF9-A33D6AA9903C.jpgA7093ECA-8544-4500-A6B0-050C1AC42BA4.jpg4C4C7753-7CB4-4ABC-85D2-5F8DA36FF91C.jpg

Blog Entries
    Nice way to celebrate great occasion. Well done- look forward to seeing with finish. Thanks for posting!

Well done, and they are something that everyone loves to get ! I do think they have a bit more grace when made of thinner wood. Don’t
    think people need the Western “strong boxes” anymore ! But no one will ever turn down any of them !

I agree, thinner boxes look nicer. The sides of the second will be curved after the joinery is finished, so they will be thinner than this when the box is finished.

I have to thickness by hand, and I do admit to a little laziness on the first box. I though about making the stock thinner, but wanted to get on with it. I may get a planer one day. That would be luxurious!

Details...
    Keepsake Box, curves.JPG
    Curves...were planed with the No.4...before the lid was sawn off...
    Keepsake Box,corner details.JPG
    Which is why Sellers had a WIDE dovetail ..
    Keepsake Box, lid corner.JPG
    So that these 2 pins would look the same size...

Hardest part for me was..
    Keepsake Box, finger-lift.JPG
    That finger lift detail....shop doesn't have much in the way of gouges..

Also, I used different feet for my box..

I finished up the joints. As always, the last corner came out the best. because the pins get trimmed to account for the angled baseline, it’s important to make sure the backs of the pins are square. If they get fat at the bottom they keep the joint from seating fully. A little combination square is a good way to check after I trim the back of the pins with a chisel.

I got the grooves plowed for the top and bottom. The top is made, probably needs a little bit of fine tuning for fit, but it is close. I cut the bottom, but made a mistake and didn’t account for the depth of the grooves when I cut it to width. So, that piece goes in the scrap bin. I decided that was it for joinery for today, but I got the curves roughly planed into the sides.

After I get the bottom made the whole thing goes back together for a final dry fit. Then I’ll trim the pins and tails and take it apart for glue-up. The final rounding of the sides will happen after glue-up, but before I cut the top off. This will be a busy week and my mom is coming to visit next weekend, so this may sit for a bit before I can get back to it.

7ABBEA28-8A42-4A08-8C01-9F585DD4E9DE.jpegF4B36F79-E31D-428B-B702-A31F910F5995.jpg879EEEA1-FB68-47F2-B36A-C26559086B3E.jpg

BTW...there is a plan that can be downloaded...
    Oct. Box Project, the Plan.JPG
    From Paul Sellers Masterclasses

I just got in a couple 1 x 6 Maple planks...and will try to make one of these in Maple...
    Oct. Box Project, end plan.JPG
    Something for me to do in October..

I had cut the bottom too narrow. Instead of making a wider panel, I decided to add slips. I made my sticking board several years ago out of whatever was within reach of the bench at the time. I’m sure I’ll make a better one eventually, but this one still works. I just clamp a scrap piece of wood down for a fence. In this case, the sides were already curved, so I had to clamp the piece down to put the grooves in.

The sticking board also worked well as a planing stop for beveling the bottom to fit in the grooves. The scrap I clamped down as a fence let me push sideways when planing.

Gluing this box up is a little exciting. It’s impossible to do a complete dry fit, because you can’t get it apart again. So, you have to check and double-check everything before gluing it up. The glue-up went pretty smooth. Once the glue drys I’ll trim the proud dovetails and pins, then finish curving and cleaning up the outside before cutting the top off.

BC5CBF50-54F1-4174-B39F-D4C4B678BDDF.jpg589061FA-96C9-4865-8DB6-0217D2588888.jpgAE07671F-03A2-496E-88D1-AD08237E9C0B.jpg

I got all excited and trimmed/flushed the tails on one side. There is still some clean-up to do before I cut this apart, but I think it will come out well.A71B0F88-77A8-44FF-ACD6-9064259CE8D3.jpg85FC04EA-74CE-42D8-87E4-246B9F22ACCF.jpg