Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woodworking on hold...due to stupidity!

The number of patients I saw with missing digits was countless. The ones that blew my mind were the ones who had it happen to them multiple times (3 was the most I saw). 3 separate occasions. I had no words.

Seeing those made me run out and buy a Sawstop. But that's only one tool. Sadly, many other ways for bad things to happen. When you get tired or your mind wanders. Or if you wonder if a particular cut is safe to do - Time to leave the shop and do something else for a while. That little birdie on your shoulder is telling you something, and you should listen.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    I have not wanted to see the image but am sorry about the injury : (
    Best Regards, Maurice

Sorry for your difficulty on this and hope you heal up well. Years ago I was working in my short ceiling basement and had the router table going ith a fluting bit. Many pieces through the unit and as I neared the end of the run I turned to grab something out of the rafters reaching upwards I stuck my other hand back as a counter weight and while the router was off, it was free wheeling just a bit and zip zip zip. Mincemeat on the tip of the middle finger. The Dr looked and said, “well, which little piece should I sew to the other little pieces?” Took a few years for the nerve to settle down but ok now. Life is a humbling experience.

In response to Kevin and Lee. There is no such thing as an "accidental discharge". The correct name for what happened is "Negligent discharge". Proper care and attention to the basic rules of firearm safe, M.A.T. would have prevented the problem. Muzzle, Action, Trigger.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Blog Entries
    I also take breaks during 'production run' type work. Many stories about making 12 of something and having something go wrong on number 10 or 11. Plenty of stories about "the gun just went off" too. I am glad that woodworkers seem to be secure enough in themselves to post accidents in the hope that they will be a reminder to all of us; they are. Folks with guns . . . not so much. A friend who shall remain nameless blew the tip and third knuckle of his left index finger off this year. Many variations on the story. None make sense .
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-14-2022 at 9:49 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Clausen View Post
    This further re-enforces my belief that I am most vulnerable when doing a repetitive cuts/processes on the TS. Heal up quickly Rob!
    My wife has been involved in Scouts for a while and helped stand up a new Cub Scout Pack. She has a saying, "repetition is the death of fun." So true in this case. I think we tend to get complacent.

It's been about 2 1/2 weeks now and it's healing well, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I also take breaks during 'production run' type work. Many stories about making 12 of something and having something go wrong on number 10 or 11. Plenty of stories about "the gun just went off" too. I am glad that woodworkers seem to be secure enough in themselves to post accidents in the hope that they will be a reminder to all of us; they are. Folks with guns . . . not so much. A friend who shall remain nameless blew the tip and third knuckle of his left index finger off this year. Many variations on the story. None make sense .
    I follow this general method for the most part. Although it may also be that I'm struggling with a setup or maybe a tool path on the CNC. Take a break and walk away for a while. I used this when still working too. A very difficult to access bolt or fitting or you name it and the blood pressure continues to rise. Walk away and chill out for a few. So many times when returning it all fell in place as it should.

done lots of quantity and it didnt cause accidents. Its wasnt the death of fun, it paid for new machines.

I always enjoyed production runs; everything planned out, organized and set up in perfectly straight lines, for quick visual checking, and within easy reach, with minimum movement. It's a process that works like a well oiled machine, or a dance, smooth efficient movements, and parts transitioning from one side through the operation to the other. No better feeling! I don't see how your mind can wander, this is commitment, focus and concentration. You have a system, 100% focus on following it, no deviation. Production work is a beautiful thing!

I have done tens of thousands of the business and credit card holders; high precision; small margin or error.. maybe a couple of thou, automatic and manual operations, no time to nap.

Card cases1.jpg133.jpg