Thread: Feather Board Help Needed...

Feather Board Help Needed...

I really liked using my magnetic feather boards on my PM2000. They were so easy, quick and versatile and I could place them anywhere on the table surface I needed to. Now with the non-metallic table on the Jobsite Pro, I have to find a good alternative. Suggestions please...

I have a Craftsman TS with a granite top, I use a steel plate clamped to the table top when the piece I'm cutting is too wide for the feather board that goes in the miter slot.
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Allen View Post
    I have a Craftsman TS with a granite top, I use a steel plate clamped to the table top when the piece I'm cutting is too wide for the feather board that goes in the miter slot.
    Interesting. Never thought of that.

wood scrap is all we ever used clamped to the table, if I was smarter would have drilled the tables years ago and just used bolts rather than clamps. Dont use them tons but reasons for sure when they are a good addition to what is being machined. Know there are all kinds of factory holes on the shaper tables and some or most are meant for gizmos of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    wood scrap is all we ever used clamped to the table, if I was smarter would have drilled the tables years ago and just used bolts rather than clamps. Dont use them tons but reasons for sure when they are a good addition to what is being machined. Know there are all kinds of factory holes on the shaper tables and some or most are meant for gizmos of some sort.
    I now have magnetic feather boards but I also used wood scrap. I'd make featherboards with a series of diagonal cuts in a piece of wood, then fasten it to a piece of plywood clamped to the table. I guess the plywood could have been held down with the lead brick I keep in the shop.

I like and use the BOW feather boards
    https://bow-products.com/

Derek, I could use a feather board - here clamped into the mitre slot …

… but JessEm Clear Cut Stock Guides double both as hold downs and force the work piece against the rip fence …

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 09-11-2022 at 7:46 PM.

I like my JessEm Clear Cut Guides.

I often just clamp the featherboard down with a couple clamps. I make the featherboards out of 12" to 15" long oak offcuts, which have the "teeth" cut on my bandsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I like and use the BOW feather boards
    https://bow-products.com/
    Saw these and they do look interesting as well. Only thing I don’t like is being limited by the miter slot. That said, it’s something.

Featherboard.jpg
    I have a magnetic featherboard. The only problem is that the magnets tend to end up over the miter slot so I have to use it in conjunction with the miter gauge so that the bar from the miter gauge transfers the magnetic force. I now use the Featherpro from Bow Products.
    Last edited by Rob Sack; 09-13-2022 at 1:31 PM.

that is not a position for a feather board unless you want it to push the material into the saw blade.

Id never use a set up like Dereks first photo. Nonsense just in the way of using a push stick. No offense Derek you do great work.

Like Rod I use wood offcuts and not often.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    that is not a position for a feather board unless you want it to push the material into the saw blade.

If you are talking about my photo, I just threw it on the saw for the photo. Obviously, I would never use it in that position.

Wont be obvious to everyone, seen enough in the wrong place and some hobby people follow what they see. I look at it and and dont have anything positive to say. Not longer to put it into a place it would be used.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 09-13-2022 at 6:03 PM.

I use an expanding miter slot strip to securely hold feather boards on my non-magnetic saw table.
    Feather Boards.jpg
    Dick Mahany.