Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Things we should know but maybe don't

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    nuts! I just bought a bunch of receptacles at HD with the grounds on the bottom. Should I take them back? I’m already stuck with a bunch of overhand toilet paper.
    You could always rewind the toilet paper instead of struggling with it being wound the wrong way.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    You could always rewind the toilet paper instead of struggling with it being wound the wrong way.
    I observed years ago that people who prefer the paper "underhand" (pulled down from the back of the roll near the wall) probably grew up as little terrors to their parents, or had siblings that were. Once toddlers learn how much fun it is to swipe down and empty a properly placed roll onto the floor, mama's easiest defense is to turn the roll around backwards. Or as someone mentioned, had untrained cats in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    nuts! I just bought a bunch of receptacles at HD with the grounds on the bottom. Should I take them back? I’m already stuck with a bunch of overhand toilet paper.
    Take them back.
    While you're there, see if they have any of these...mine is completely sold out.
    3 Gang Plate.jpg
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Take them back.
    While you're there, see if they have any of these...mine is completely sold out.
    3 Gang Plate.jpg
    I think you should turn off the power, pull all the switches, and rewire them so they are in the right positions. Or call an electrician…

Ground up is always safer and easier if it is below waist height. Above breast height ground down is easier to plug in.
    Bill D

I always thought that ground up was for a "switched" outlet.

While there's valid reasons to mount outlets ground post up, how many refrigerators or washing machines have ever been made with its flat space-saver grounded plug designed to used in an up-grounded outlet-?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    While there's valid reasons to mount outlets ground post up, how many refrigerators or washing machines have ever been made with its flat space-saver grounded plug designed to used in an up-grounded outlet-?
    I've got a freezer made that way. I finally got fed up and turned the outlet around in the box.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I observed years ago that people who prefer the paper "underhand" (pulled down from the back of the roll near the wall) probably grew up as little terrors to their parents, or had siblings that were. Once toddlers learn how much fun it is to swipe down and empty a properly placed roll onto the floor, mama's easiest defense is to turn the roll around backwards. Or as someone mentioned, had untrained cats in the house.
    my answer to this depends on whether you have a cat. If you do, the paper has to be underhand. If you don’t, whatever.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    now there’s an idea for a ridiculous machine. A toilet paper rewinder.

We buy two ply paper and I re-roll it into two rolls of single ply.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Ground up, or neutral up if horizontal, for outlets.
    The Toilet paper up and over is the correct method as shwon in the original patent drawing.
    Bill D.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...US465588-0.png
    I'd advise you to not bring this up with my wife of 54 years.

Pick your battles!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 09-12-2022 at 11:29 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Orange are insulated out lets used for equipment that is subject to spikes. We had to do that for the computer and cash registers at drug stores.

Orange is isolated ground. Not really possible to make a insulated outlet that conducts.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Orange is isolated ground. Not really possible to make a insulated outlet that conducts.
    Bill D
    I knew a guy that could use those. Same guy crimped on wire ends without stripping the wires first. (No they weren't insulation piercing.) Nothing worked either for some reason. But there wasn't any radio interference or so I've heard.