Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things we should know but maybe don't

Things we should know but maybe don't

--such as, why are some of the power outlets in hospitals red? I just got an order to engrave 300 outlet covers for a hospital, and half of them are red. I've been AWARE of red outlets all my life, but never thought to ask anyone WHY they're red! So when the electric company dropped them all off yesterday, I asked. Now I know, and I'm not sure if I feel dumb, or smart about that!

Just curious who does, and doesn't know why the red ones are red! (Maybe I'm the only one!) - If you know, just say so for now, and we can reveal in a few days

Also curious about other reasonably common things that may be unknown to myself and others... post up!

Likely won't be the next 'levity' thread but it could get interesting!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I do, I do! .
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

It's been like this for at least 25 years that I know of for sure - it might very well be longer.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I thought everyone knew this, well I guess they will soon.

I was curious and asked, many years ago.

Blog Entries
    Also curious about other reasonably common things that may be unknown to myself and others... post up!
    Okay, I know why there are red, green and orange sockets and why they are installed with the ground prong up.

But here is something:

Can Punch.jpg

This comes in handy for things like canned dog food or refried beans. These and other canned goods are sometimes difficult to coax out of the can. The tool is mostly a 16d nail with the head removed and the end sharpened to punch a hole in one end of the can after the other end has been removed. This allows air into the can so the product inside can drop out without creating a vacuum. When the refried beans are slow to start a puckering of the lips over the hole and blowing some air into the can speeds up the process.

I used to use a 'church key' to poke a hole, but many cans now days do not have a rim on the bottom to catch the opener.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 09-10-2022 at 6:19 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I built hospitals - red are on emergency power.

But what about the orange outlets, we can't leave them out of the discussion... ( yes i know what they are )

Oops, I see now that Jim already mentioned the orange outlets. Now the whole debate over ground up or ground down, thats a whole other can of worms!!
    Last edited by John Lanciani; 09-10-2022 at 7:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Okay, I know why there are red, green and orange sockets and why they are installed with the ground prong up.
    I don't why the hospital does it but if you've ever had a sliver of metal from a machining operation fall behind the machine and land across a tiny gap between a plug and the receptacle and across the two hots in a 110v circuit you might consider mounting the grounds up.

JKJ

Orange outlets are, in theory, direct runs to the service panel, and don't share grounds or neutrals with other outlets, even if on the same circuit. I see them in music venues and studios to try to eliminate the dreaded 60 cycle hum. Red outlets are subject to a back up generator, so only critical things are hooked to them.
    Regards,

Tom

I just use the can opener to make a short slit.
    Bill D

Ground up, or neutral up if horizontal, for outlets.
    The Toilet paper up and over is the correct method as shwon in the original patent drawing.
    Bill D.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...US465588-0.png

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    The Toilet paper up and over is the correct method as shown in the original patent drawing.
    Bill D.

Perhaps, but there was the famous Dear Abby debate on this that brought in everyone including mechanical engineers from MIT. And the most reader responses in the history of her column. Her answer from the scientists then was under.

A recent discussion went to the OVER camp due to less bacterial contamination of the bathroom walls, of all things:
    https://www.todayifoundout.com/index...-toilet-paper/
    https://www.inc.com/geoffrey-james/t...rding-to-.html

So, I guess over it is. Though I really prefer under. Oh well. Another thing we should know...
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    But what about the orange outlets, we can't leave them out of the discussion... ( yes i know what they are )

Oops, I see now that Jim already mentioned the orange outlets. Now the whole debate over ground up or ground down, thats a whole other can of worms!!
    nuts! I just bought a bunch of receptacles at HD with the grounds on the bottom. Should I take them back? I’m already stuck with a bunch of overhand toilet paper.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    The Toilet paper up and over is the correct method as shwon in the original patent drawing.
    Bill D.

If you have had kids or cats you may have experience in why some prefer the back and under installation of toilet paper.

Having the ground up was important when more cover plates were metal and screws would often become loose.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)