Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for drill press table?

Suggestions for drill press table?

I hope to be making an aux. drill press table in the next week or so, and so far like the looks of this one:
    http://www.popularwoodworking.com/fe...ea.asp?id=1050

Just curious if anyone here had a design they really liked, or particular features that I should consider, maybe that aren't shown here. With this particular design, for instance, I wonder if a different arrangement of the T-tracks wouldn't be more flexible. I'd love to see pics of any of your DP tables, of course! Thanks!

andy, i`ve found that a simple drillpress vice is the handiest addition....02 tod

That's what I have now, and frankly, I don't like it. For some things it's fine, but, for example, I plan to make a cribbage board. Big deal, I know... But with an aux. table, I could easily set up a stop block, and use spacing blocks to nudge the workpiece a set distance repeatedly in both the X and Y direction. Just an example, but accuracy for this project would be very difficult, or at least slow, with a vice.

Andy, I am also looking at building a drill press table, so thanks for the link -I had not seen these plans before.

Right now, the plans that I think I like the best are also from Popular Woodworking, but they are different than the ones in your link. Refer to the October 2005 issue where Eric Hedberg has some quite innovative plans.

You might also want to look at the Saw Mill Creek thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29230

andy, what i do in those instances is screw a scrap of mdf to the table then pitch it when i`m done ...02 tod

Frank. The plan I think you're refering to seemed a little TOO much for my needs, if it's the one I'm thinking of - the one with the wooden T slots and hardwood slot fillers, and the extension wings? Seemed like a lot of work I'll double check my mag stack tonite, though. Thanks!

Tod - that's a very obvious option - that I didn't even think of - duh! But just cuz I think they look cool, I think I'm gonna go ahead with my plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Henriksen
    Frank. The plan I think you're refering to seemed a little TOO much for my needs, if it's the one I'm thinking of - the one with the wooden T slots and hardwood slot fillers, and the extension wings? Seemed like a lot of work I'll double check my mag stack tonite, though. Thanks!

Tod - that's a very obvious option - that I didn't even think of - duh! But just cuz I think they look cool, I think I'm gonna go ahead with my plans.
    Yes Andy, that's the one. I particularly like the extension wings. But, you are correct that it is a lot of work and it might also be a little TOO much for my needs. That's why I appreciate the simpler table plans that you linked us to. Maybe I can figure out a way to add extension wings to that plan.

Found a few from WOOD magazine.

http://woodstore.woodmall.com/drilprestab.html

http://woodstore.woodmall.com/fedrta.html

I did a Yahoo/Google search, it showed quite a few lists for various styles.
    Last edited by Doug Jones; 01-23-2006 at 3:03 PM.

I have the one on this page that is built from plans and sold as a kit http://www.ptreeusa.com/drillpressacc.html . I like it, but a simpler version would do just as well. Honestly, all I ever use of it is the fence (with stop) and some hold downs. I kind of like the ones that woodpeck sell, but maybe just some of the track and stops hacked on a piece of plywood.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Fine Woodworking has a pretty nice one last month. I was thinking about building that one myself.

Mine is simple...18" deep and 24" wide with a slight rounded cutout at the rear to accomodate the DP's "backbone". Two tee-slots routed front to back to fasten a shop-built fence made of scrap oak. It's served me well for almost six years now.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Andy,

I did something very similar for my drill press table. About the only signficant difference is that I used a double track on top of the fence to allow a tape measure in addition to the T-track. It has worked great for me and I have no regrets. I do recommend making a few extra inserts when you cut the first one. They go pretty fast.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Andy,
    I made the table you linked to. It works and is functional. No complaints. As with anything, there's always something better, so be sure you plan well.
    I think woodsmith or shopnotes, had a pretty nice one within the last year or so.

After having made it and used it for over 2 yrs, I think it's just as easy to use a piece of mdf, and a clamped straightedge... unless you are going to do some repetitive work, as I have.. then a table like this shines.

Andy,

I built the newer Wood "feature-packed" table.

I used Incra tape track on the fence and table top, along with reference lines drawn in pencil on the fence, track and table to zero the tape. This is slightly useful for quick drilling of holes which don't need precise placement.

The fence extensions were not worth the extra work and complexity. Mine are barely usable because of some play in the channels the steel rods slide in. Just build a fence as long or slightly longer than the table.

Andy

Not a very good close up but I use the Incra table and really, really like it. It is very similar to one I built for my son's DP except it has one very important feature, a removable piece of MDF about 4" square under the drilling area.