Thread: Gluing up legs for a mission/craftsman style bed using quarter sawn white oak

Gluing up legs for a mission/craftsman style bed using quarter sawn white oak

I have 8/4 stock to start with and I am trying to decide if I want to make a 4 x 4 leg or use the 8/4 thickness and after milling and glue up shoot for 3-1/2 square. If I want the 4 x 4 I am going to have to put in a fill piece. I plan to cut veneer for two sides of each leg so I have a quarter sawn face on all four sides of the leg, so this would hide the filler.

Appreciate any input.

Brian
    Brian

The answer to your question revolves around proportion...will the 4" or the 3.5" dimension look better overall for the design of the bed?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The answer to your question revolves around proportion...will the 4" or the 3.5" dimension look better overall for the design of the bed?
    Simple 3 panel across, queen size. 44" high headboard.

Brian
    Brian

I would find a scrap 2x4 and mock up both the 4” and 3 1/2” leg. This should give you a better idea of what fits your eye, then the decision will be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    I would find a scrap 2x4 and mock up both the 4” and 3 1/2” leg. This should give you a better idea of what fits your eye, then the decision will be easy.
    Looking At some plans, 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 seems normal sizes for them, so 3-1/2 or less will work fine. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Looking At some plans, 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 seems normal sizes for them, so 3-1/2 or less will work fine. Brian
    That seems better, sometimes things are overbuilt and we don’t think the smaller size is strong enough. Good luck with the build.

My similar style bed has 2 5/8 x 2 1/4 posts. They are 3 boards glued together. I made a headboard and footboard for bedframe and used 8/4 on it.