Thread: Fixing a Record Vice which is racked

Fixing a Record Vice which is racked

So years ago I over tightened my record 52E vice on one side and it racked. My thought is to take off the face maple and plane it so that one side is narrower than the other to account for the racking. However, if I take the vice off and rebuild it would I be able to fix the racking? Or am I just going to have to live with it?
    Last edited by Brian Cargnelli; 09-10-2022 at 3:41 PM.

I know nothing about that brand but my quick-release vise was not right I’d first see if I could understand what exactly was the problem. An adjustment? Something warped, bent, broken?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Cargnelli View Post
    So years ago I overnighted my record vice on one side and it racked. My thought is to take off the face maple and plane it so that one side is narrower than the other to account for the racking. However, if I take the vice off and rebuild it would I be able to fix the racking? Or am I just going to have to live with it?

Is this a woodworking or machinist vise. Overnighting? Record went out of business and sold the name to a China based factory. No factory parts available.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 09-10-2022 at 1:51 AM.

Woodworking vise. Over tightening lol.

Round shaft for guides? Pressed in, or a screw thru the jaw?

If they're 'removable', try loosening the screws and see if you can shift it a bit. If not, put a block in the tight side and over tighten it until it's straight

If it's a record 52 1/2, it can probably be repaired. Here's a thread with alot of thoughts. The approach that worked for me is described in post 13. LINK
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 09-10-2022 at 2:09 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I actually was reading that thread last night but when I got to the garage journal post I popped over there. Side tracked again.

I might try this last idea first. It’s embedded into my bench behind a 2x6 hard maple strip that runs the length of the bench. I’m really trying to avoid taking it off this the reason why I’ve left it this long.

Yes I bought this 30 years ago as new old stock. It was made in the 1960’s.